Caroma Dual Flush watersense toilet review & pictues

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
thank you for the info. Its only 3 days old, will local-hardware store take it back, and replace it for TOTO models. (iam hesitant to do this, but iam dissatisfied with the product)

My guess is that they won't actually carry Toto or their prices might be out of line if they custom order these. I would see if I could just return it for refund even if I had to take a "restocking charge" for it. For Toto's you often will need to call local plumbing supply houses for pricing. You might be able to forego freight costs by allowing delivery with their standard distribution runs.

Since you went with dual flush I assume you will want an EcoDrake model (1.28 gpf) rather than the older standard 1.6 gpf tank. I suggest adding the CEFIONTECT option for the cleanest possible bowl (I debated this and went with at, supply house only charged something like $20 extra for it.) Choose ADA or standard height, elongated or round according to your preferences.

You can either get the standard bowl rinse Drake or the double cyclone Drake II. I have not ever used the double cyclone so I have no comparison.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
To be fair about the Caroma, and Cass knows this too, they don't plug.
They are from Australia, where water is critical.

In order to maintain a dual flush, there is very little water in the bowl,
The Toto Aquia dual flush has very little water too, as do almost all other dual flush toilets.

The Aquia does stay a bit cleaner, but for what it is, the Caroma works as advertised.
I sold dozens of the Caroma 305's to the National Park Service.
I do like the Drake models though by Toto, and the Aquia, which has been very good.

For some people with medical problems, the Caroma my be the only solution. The trapway on the Caroma is the largest on the market.

Most modern bowls do very well with a 2" trapway.

Last edited:

Caroma-305

Reaction score
update--

quick update.

Found a way out , to keep the porcelain clean,

Before using the toilet , we flush it, (the Min-Flush) , drop folded toilet-papers around the porcelain wall

this sure a inconvenience, but keeps the porcelain clean & prevents he after-work with the brush ;-)

water savings , with little pre-work !!! (PS: not a good toilet for guest-bathroom... no way)

thank you.

lazypineapple

Reaction score
Largest trap?

I notice that most toto's have a 2-1/8 trap some have a larger trap.. 2-7/16
is the larger traps much better flusher ?
looking for a 2 piece great flusher,
a certain 90 pound family member and jam a toilet. dangest thing i ever seen, and Im not talking with paper.
thanks

lazypineapple

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but after reading reviews here. I not sure this would be a good choice , for them.
I should have mentioned, this would be used by elderly people..and being old skool. and techniqe changes ,I might not have a happy Parent.
so what would the second choice ?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If, either because of diet, medications, or who knows, a person produces huge, hard stools, then the larger trapway of the Caroma can handle it better than the others that are available because of the size. For more normal people, any of the Totos is hard to clog. Nothing's impossible, but they are much better than the norm. If their current toielt is clogging because it is a lousy toilet, a Toto will resolve that. If it is because of medical problems, you choice is a stick to break it apart before flushing, or a Caroma. ANd, even then, it might be possible to clog if you used enough paper, but doubtful.

Last edited by a moderator:

chrisf8657

Reaction score
If, either because of diet, medications, or who knows, a person produces huge, hard stools, then the larger trapway of the Caroma can handle it better than the others that are available because of the size. For more normal people, any of the Totos is hard to clog. Nothing's impossible, but they are much better than the norm. If their current toielt is clogging because it is a lousy toilet, a Toto will resolve that. If it is because of medical problems, you choice is a stick to break it apart before flushing, or a Caroma. ANd, even then, it might be possible to clog if you used enough paper, but doubtful.

jadnashua's right, I used to get a bunch of paint stir sticks out of Home Depot everytime I had to break the big ones up. The Cadet 3 EL Flowise I have, and Toto Drakes, are difficult to clog, I havent clogged mine yet, though I could easily with my old '82 Kilgore. Never heard of a Caroma, though.
My review:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?35061-Review-Cadet-3-EL-Flowise-Toilet

Pipefitter

Reaction score
We had our Caroma Caravelle toilets, 2 of them, installed about 2 years ago. For the first year or so they worked without a problem, however , lately the flush water seals need periodic cleaning and the "stainless" metal parts are rusting. I don't believe that the our local water treatments can be corrosive enough to do this, but I can't find and other reason for this occurrance. Secondly, I talked to the local Caroma rep regarding the seat problems and she told me that it was normal to have the seats cleaned every "couple of years". I am wondering if the seals could be degrading from exposure to water treatment chemicals as well. If the flush water seats aren't functioning properly, the toilet is no longer a water saving toilet. Has anyone else encountered this and is there a resonable fix to these 2 problems?

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
Caroma Bondi 270

Terry,

I recently replaced my inefficient toilet with a Caroma Bondi 270 Easy Height Elongated toilet. I wish I could say I am completely happy with it, but I can’t.

The three-liter flush leaves behind the toilet paper most of the time, and the “water” that is left doesn’t look as clean and clear as it should (water from the tank is clean and clear). The six-liter flush won’t completely eliminate solid waste most of the time. There is usually a small amount of something floating on top of the water, sitting on the bottom of the bowl, or both. I am not impressed, and my guests are even less impressed. Another half-flush usually solves both problems, which only partially fulfils the reason I changed toilets. For over $400 (Cdn) I expect better performance. Also, it puts into question the reliability of the MAP data (Bondi is rated at 900 grams), at least from my point of view.

Bob W
Brandon, MB Canada

TWEAK

Reaction score
My only experience with a Caroma was in a hotel in Oceanside, CA. Great looking toilet, I really like the styling -- and a powerful flush. However, it has two flaws that, for me, rule it out. The first is that the water level is just WAY too low, and the bowl wash effect isn't good. The bowl gets messy. I have *zero* desire to brush the toilet after every use... and lining the bowl with paper just sounds silly. The other problem is that if you flush while still seated, you are quite likely to have some of your male anatomy involved. Including some splash? Not so good.

I recently put in a Toto Guinevere. While I was mildly disappointed with the styling of the skirt, IMO it's overall a much, much better functional design than the Caroma. It has a good, high water level (Guinevere is a single flush - dual flush often has low water level), strong enough flush, and the cyclone system ( or whatever they call it) washes the bowl pretty well and doesn't splash a lot.

Last edited:

dgrubb109

Reaction score
Caroma Toilet - Sydney 305/270

Does anyone know about the Caroma Sydney Toilets - 305/270? I know they are different than the standard toilets, and are made in Australia. They are also offering very good rebates in the city where my house is located. However some of the plumbers I have spoken with do not recommend them, while others say they are okay. Pros and Cons anyone?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Caromas may be the only choice for a very small percentage of people that for some reason produce large/long/hard stools. Other that that, they aren't the best toilet out there. They have their place, as they are essentially one of very few toilets with a 3" trapway. Most toilets doe quite well with smaller diameter ones (well, there are some dogs out there, either in QA or design). Unless you are in that 1% or so, I'd look at a different brand (my preference would be a Toto).

adrialla

Reaction score
Unsanitary and disgusting

My only experience with a Caroma was in a hotel in Oceanside, CA. Great looking toilet, I really like the styling -- and a powerful flush. However, it has two flaws that, for me, rule it out. The first is that the water level is just WAY too low, and the bowl wash effect isn't good. The bowl gets messy. I have *zero* desire to brush the toilet after every use... and lining the bowl with paper just sounds silly. The other problem is that if you flush while still seated, you are quite likely to have some of your male anatomy involved. Including some splash? Not so good.

I couldn't agree more! We moved into a rental property that has a Caroma dual flush toilet. With such a low water level, waste residue collects in the bowl that does not get washed off when flushed 3 times, let alone once. I detest having to grab a wad of toilet paper and manually remove the residue or use the bowl brush to get it out, which then necessitates soaking the brush in bleach each time to disinfect. If the bowl isn't thoroughly cleaned after each "productive" visit, the bathroom gets a distinct odor. I also concur with the issue of flushing while seated, especially during a bout of gastrointestinal trouble. Plan on taking a shower after the violent splashback.

These toilets may save water, but they are completely unsanitary and a health hazard IMO.

DavidDIY

Reaction score
size of flange with Caroma toilet

The quick version: Does a Caroma toilet need a 4" closet flange and pipe or would a 3" pipe (with a 4/3 flange) be ok?

I am currently working on a major master bathroom remodel that will not be done for a good long time. Working in my spare time doing all of the work myself and - most importantly - paying for it all yikes. Among the many decisions I have to make is a toilet. I am leaning toward a Caroma at the moment for the extra wide trapway. I ran across a post where Terry stated that the Caroma 4" trapway narrows to 3". Everything I read from Caroma says "full 4 inch trapway" which led me to think I might have to use 4 inch all the way but not so if it narrows to 3". I was wondering if this is current information (don't remember the date on that post) and if it is all Caroma models or at least the ones available here. That is the kind of information I would have expected Caroma to make available. It also would seem that narrowing would be bad, especially in the trapway but they are supposed to be the experts. Since my plumbing is in the rough in stage and no subfloor in yet I can change some things if I need to.

Found you by way of Google. Great work going on here. Thanks for all the great discussions I have already been able to digest thus far.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Caroma likes to say 4" trapway. And I liked to believe in Santa Clause when I was young. But then you grow up and find out that not everything you read is real.

The Caroma 305 bowl has a 3" trapway. At least on the outlet. The Caroma 270 bowl is a bit larger then 3", and as it folds over, certainly less then 4".

Installing the 305 bowl with the 3" outlet over a 4x3 flange work perfectly.
The 270 bowl is a little larger with the supplied adapter, but I have installed plenty over a 4x3 closet flange.

By the way, Gerber says their Ultraflush trapway averages over 3", and yet when I put a tape measure on it, it's 1-7/8" at the outlet.

Below is the Caroma 305 3" trapway.

caroma_305_horn.jpg

A Caroma 305 bowl with 3" trapway. I wish I had taken the picture with my tape measure across the opening.

Last edited:

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
Caroma Toilet Review

What do you guys think of the caroma? I want to get a dual flush one but is that model the caravelle? I want one that is really high performance and flushes well.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There's good and bad with the Caroma - the good is that they have probably the largest diameter trapway in the industry, and will flush the long, hard logs some people (maybe less than 1%) of the population produces, usually because of some medical condition. The bad is that to get the water moving in such a large trapway requires dumping the water VERY fast, which typically can splash the bottom of the seat (and you, if you're sitting there...best left to flush only after you close it! If you're in that 1% that doesn't produce 'normal' deposits, it may be your best bet. But, most any Toto will be perfectly fine for the rest. Ask someone who has owned one for awhile, and see if they still know where their plunger is...they probably don't. There are others.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks