Bathtub Drain/Overflow Connection to Cast Iron Drain Pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

darylm

Reaction score
I am remodeling the bathroom and kitchen in a house that my wife and I recently purchased and one of the things we wanted to do was to put in a tile floor and make it about the same level as the existing hardwood flooring.

After removing the multiple layers of underlayment and getting to the subfloor we could see wood rot that needed to be dealt with first.

I have now replaced the rotted joist and am ready to start rebuilding the subfloor but before I do that I want to do whatever is needed to the drain for the bathtub since I have full and easy access to it at this point.

Here is a picture of the bathtub drain pipes (before I replaced the joist).

BathtubDrainPipes.jpg

Since I have easy access to this plumbing now... I'd like to put in whatever should be installed and in the right way so that I end up with no leaks and no problems for a long time. :p

Please advise...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is not an easy job since the original plumber was skilled in soldering that tube to get the offsets he needed. I suggest getting a plumber to look at it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That job is well beyond your level of incompetence, so you may need a plumber to relocate the trap and provide a connection for you NEW drain assembly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As tough as those two answers sound, I was thinking the same thing. It's even a bit hard explaining in laymen terms why that setup looks so difficult to work with to us.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; As tough as those two answers sound

We are NOT here to make every job "easy". We try to give the best answer, and sometimes that answer is "DON'T try to DIY". We cannot make a plumber out of someone with a few sentences in an E-mail.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Really???

I would suggest cutting back the cast iron well to the left of the picture and replacing with PVC. I'd think that a banded flexible coupling (on the cast to PVC) would allow for a little play (if necessary) and along with a much longer length of pipe, he could put that drain right where he needs it. I'd replace the drain pipig and overflow with plastic.

But...maybe I'm missing something...wouldn't be the first time. :)

darylm

Reaction score
Thanks...

Really???

I would suggest cutting back the cast iron well to the left of the picture and replacing with PVC. I'd think that a banded flexible coupling (on the cast to PVC) would allow for a little play (if necessary) and along with a much longer length of pipe, he could put that drain right where he needs it. I'd replace the drain pipig and overflow with plastic.

But...maybe I'm missing something...wouldn't be the first time. :)

I've done a fair amount of construction work in my half of century of being here on this earth... but have not had to work with lead and oakum before...

What I was considering is to remove the lead and oakum and use a convert from cast iron to PVC either using a Fernco or PVC compression donut and then just use PVC

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
That's a possibility, but I'm not sure you'll have enough room to make up those slight and funny angles. Worth a shot--might need to get it apart, clean it really good and measure for a donut before you get started. It that doesn't work, cut it back further and forget the belled end.

darylm

Reaction score
I believe that there is another cast iron hub before the cast iron pipe goes into the main stack... so if I needed to I could go back even further for the cast iron to PVC connection.

darylm

Reaction score
Good question.

I am not certain... but it is not too far... probably less than 2 feet... which probably means that the next hub is the hub on the main stack.

I'll need to check that and take some pictures so that I have better pictures as a reference.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know this is a DIY help forum, but sometimes the best advice to a DIY is to get professional help. Several of the real pros have alluded to this, and it might be wise to consider their advice. It's often cheaper in the long run to get the professional sooner than later.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks