Bad idea? Using flexibility in Fernco coupling to connect slightly misaligned bathtub shoe and waste tee

Users who are viewing this thread

ger1

Reaction score
My bathtub drain pipe had a hole in it. We bought replacement parts but upon install we found the tub was sitting 1/16 to 1/8 too low compared to the waste tee line - the two didn’t line up. Thus, when we connected everything the bathtub drain would not sit flush with the tub; and it would leak.

To make up the difference in height we attached a 1.5 in to 1.5 Fernco coupling between the brass drain pipe and caste iron waste tee (we cut the brass pipe drain line to make room for the Fernco coupling). The flex in the rubber Fernco couple makes up the difference in height and now the tub flange sits flush with the floor of the tub. No leaks from the flange or the Fernco coupling.

I have two concerns:

1) Will the Fernco coupling fail or leak eventually?

2) The 1.5 in Fernco coupling had to contract what seems like .25 in to seal on the brass pipe. It’s puckering a bit because of the clamp. Is that puckering problematic?

I appreciate the help!

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpeg
    IMG_3880.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 97

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
No opinion on whether it will ever leak. but its bad work, Try to come up with a more proper fix,

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks