Advise to find a slow leak in CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

nyoung

Reaction score
I have installed rough CPVC supply lines on my project and need to locate a slow leak prior to connecting to the water main. I have a rig that I've built with an air hose coupling, gauge and shutoff valve. The air was added to a pressure of ~90psi. It drops about 1 psi every 3 minutes or so. I have used soapy water on all joints and caps but cannot locate it. I have used cpvc to brass unions and push-fit brass ball valves below each faucet, hose bibb, shower valve, etc. The shower valves are installed, no cartridges in them, and nipples and caps on the drop ears. My assumption was that I would find the leak at one of the sharkbite ball valves but I haven't found it yet.

Is there some dye product I could inject into the system to help me find it?
or any other 'tips'?

BTW - I understand the danger of air pressure and plastic pipes.

Thank you!

nyoung

Reaction score
Well that's what I assumed but certainly cant hear it (I actually cant hear real great anyway...). So even though its only dropping 1 lb every couple of minutes?
Thanks Terry, Awesome website you have Sir.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The nice thing about CPVC is if you hook up the water and do find a leak, it should only take a few minutes to fix.

nyoung

Reaction score
'borrow a child' I got a laugh. Yeah, gonna skip on that one.
I pushed it to 100 and searched still no hissing, and that's really higher than I feel comfortable going. I went ahead and closed all the valves to hoepfully isolate but it's still leaking. Just puzzled at where is the leak. Maybe the water wont find it (sound slike famous last words...).

Thanks all!

Reach4

Reaction score
Seriously, there is danger?

There are ultrasonic leak detectors available for about $50 and up.

SHR

Reaction score
I would bet your shower valve bodies are not sealed tight without the cartridges in them. Shut off the ball valves to the shower valve and see if it makes a difference. I agree with Mr. Love that you should hook the water up and you will find out if you have a problem right away.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It's one of the reasons I run copper on air lines at gas stations

I suppose the second reason would be that the code REQUIRES copper or steel for air lines.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
quote; It's one of the reasons I run copper on air lines at gas stations

I suppose the second reason would be that the code REQUIRES copper or steel for air lines.

And that's the other reason.
I remember thirty years ago, a client wanted plastic air lines. Not going to happen.
And testing copper with air was even scary. I was on a condo project with four other plumbers. Someone forget to solder on caps, and those things were blowing off like bullets.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quot; Someone forget to solder on caps, and those things were blowing off like bullets

Just don't solder copper nails to them. Otherwise you will need to use a cat's paw to pull them out of the ceiling, or your leg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks