Acrylic Tub Mortar Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

swiederin

Reaction score
I bought a new acrylic & fiberglass reinforced American Standard tub. The bottom of the tub has a piece of OSB moulded to it. The instruction say to use mortar to set the tub. How will this work with the OSB? It is not packing material. Need some clarity.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I bought a new acrylic & fiberglass reinforced American Standard tub. The bottom of the tub has a piece of OSB moulded to it. The instruction say to use mortar to set the tub. How will this work with the OSB? It is not packing material. Need some clarity.

Does the OSB make full contact with the bottom of the tub?

Can you post a picture?

JW

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Many tubs have OSB or wood on the bottom. I set several piles of mortar down and allow the tub to squish out the piles as it drops into place. The mortar as it drys tends to pull away a bit anyway. You can also lay a sheet of plastic down between the mortar and the tub.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The goal of installing any tub is to get it level and have full contact with the subflooring. If you are really lucky, you may not need anything underneath it. For the vast majority of installations, though, it works out best if you use some mortar to get that full support and make things nice and level. Make sure it is level both L-R and F-B, as doing so makes finishing it up and performance easier/better.

swiederin

Reaction score
I was thinking that the mortar would need to flow into an area with ridges/gaps to provide some stability.

swiederin

Reaction score
Probably want to use some plastic underneathg the mortar as well as between the mortar and the OSB/tub right?

swiederin

Reaction score
It appears to. Do I need to change the location of the ledger boards to allow for mortar?

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
Use the small piles as Terry suggested. Make the mud loose, just enough body to allow it to stand up a little, no so stiff that is will not spread out. About ten piles under the base will do it. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks