Gluing Acrylic Shower Walls to Painted Drywall

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am installing this shower kit and realized that I should not have primed and painted the mildew resistant drywall, but that ship has sailed.

The instructions suggest some adhesives and the company has confirmed this via emails, while also suggesting this product:

I can find users getting responses from Loctite on adhering to painted drywall and they make sure to note that it needs to be porous. All answers suggest either sanding to rough up the surface or to remove the paint entirely. I used a satin finish paint but it doesn't seem that glossy to me. Does anyone have any experience with this? How rough would the surface need to be?

I am pondering setting up a test with a spare piece of drywall and a piece of acrylic sheet or plexiglass. I also wonder if simply using 100% silicone would suffice.

Krafty1620

Reaction score
I am installing this shower kit and realized that I should not have primed and painted the mildew resistant drywall, but that ship has sailed.

The instructions suggest some adhesives and the company has confirmed this via emails, while also suggesting this product:

I can find users getting responses from Loctite on adhering to painted drywall and they make sure to note that it needs to be porous. All answers suggest either sanding to rough up the surface or to remove the paint entirely. I used a satin finish paint but it doesn't seem that glossy to me. Does anyone have any experience with this? How rough would the surface need to be?

I am pondering setting up a test with a spare piece of drywall and a piece of acrylic sheet or plexiglass. I also wonder if simply using 100% silicone would suffice.
Hey bud.. I am coming across this very issue right now. Hopefully you get this because I am curious how you made out with your dilemma and what you ultimately chose and holding up?
V/R
Chris

Reaction score
Hey bud.. I am coming across this very issue right now. Hopefully you get this because I am curious how you made out with your dilemma and what you ultimately chose and holding up?
V/R
Chris
I have not performed any testing, but Loctite did confirm over the phone that the paint would need to be completely removed via sanding; down to the paper. I sanded a small area with an orbital sander but the mess was not worth continuing. Liquid Nails (also over the phone) suggested using their new Fuze-It product for two non-porous substrates.

My friend used 100% silicone to adhere similar panels to a pre-tiled shower and that has held for a few years. I had to perform a plumbing repair, but should mount the panels this coming weekend. I can report back then.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Second page of their tech paper sand with 40 grit over tile. Palm sander should remove the paint in no time. Zero second instant grab not sure I'd want that even with prefitting.

Reaction score
V/R
Chris
I just used the Fuze-It on the back two panels a few hours ago; performed very well. Instantly grabbed yet I could still push the panels to adjust. I taped the edges but I'm not sure it was needed. After a couple of hours, I tried to pull a corner back and there is no getting that thing off. I'm very happy. The product was also not too thick as to slow down application. I was easily able to get all the product applied in a grid pattern in 5 minutes.

I did sand the wall by hand with 100 grit sandpaper. I also used a Scotch Brite pad on the panels as well as wiped them down with a microfiber towel and rubbing alcohol.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks