ABS to PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use a shielded coupling to transition between the two. I don't glue them.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Does transition cement work for this? Working on mobile home and no one sells ABS pipe and fittings anymore.
In much of the country, mainly in the west, they sell mostly ABS. If you wanted to order some things in ABS, I am sure it would be simple to locate. Terry's suggestion lets you go pick up your stuff locally immediately.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Obviously transition cement must have some value, but I wouldn't trust it and here's why. ABS and PVC are both plastic, but they are made of different chemicals. The reason this makes a difference is that when these pipes are joined, they are not "cemented" or "glued". They are solvent welded. By that I mean the so-called glues are actually a solvent the melts the surfaces of the pipe end and fitting being joined. When the joint is established, the surfaces of the pipe and fitting blend together forming a weld. The is very similar to welding metal except it done chemically and not with high heat. Now comes the problem. Since ABS and PVC are chemically different, they require their own solvents. I don't know how the transition cement works, but it my opinion that it the joint would not be as sound as I would want to trust. Use the banded coupling as Terry describes and pictures. We know those make as

Vict

Reaction score
We use ABS to PVC glue all the time. Granted its typically one glue joint from 3034 PVC to an ABS styrene adapter and then buried underground heh... hard to say if its holding up or not I suppose.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's much simpler to use the banded coupler...code approved, reliable, works. The transition cement has solvents and dissolved plastic of both types...safer to use the coupler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks