Sealer for 4" ABS pipe leak

Users who are viewing this thread

stans17

Reaction score
My 4" ABS is leaking at the joint. Vertical pipe is leaking at the joint where is goes into a cleanout Y. The bottom of the Y is in the concrete basement floor so cutting it out and replacing is not an option. It doesn't make any sense that it would leak in a vertical run, yes I've removed the cleanout plug and the pipe is clear. The only option I see is using some type of sealer on the joint that is compatible with ABS. Thoughts on using ABS cement after cleaning with solvent. I tried to upload a couple photos but no luck., Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Tie a cloth farther up on the pipe to see if the water might be coming from higher.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if its on top of c/o its usually not bad to glue it up put several coats on it letting it dry between coats.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never tried any of those epoxy putty they say it even patches potable water lines something Ive never dreamed of trying.

stans17

Reaction score
My 4" ABS is leaking at the joint. Vertical pipe is leaking at the joint where is goes into a cleanout Y. The bottom of the Y is in the concrete basement floor so cutting it out and replacing is not an option. It doesn't make any sense that it would leak in a vertical run, yes I've removed the cleanout plug and the pipe is clear. The only option I see is using some type of sealer on the joint that is compatible with ABS. Thoughts on using ABS cement after cleaning with solvent. I tried to upload a couple photos but no luck., Thanks
It's not coming from above, definitely coming from the joint at the Y. Doesn't make sense it would run uphill to the top of the joint, possibly a crack in the pipe. I'm going to clean and reglue then use epoxy putty after the glue dries.

stans17

Reaction score
It's not coming from above, definitely coming from the joint at the Y. Doesn't make sense it would run uphill to the top of the joint, possibly a crack in the pipe. I'm going to clean and reglue then use epoxy putty after the glue dries.

stans17

Reaction score
I finally found the problem! The 4" ABS is cracked all the way around at the top of the hub on the Wye. This thing is located behind some shelves so I was on my knees under the shelves trying to stop the leak. The plumbers epoxy wouldn't seal the crack because I couldn't get it dry, seemed to be just enough water seeping out to keep it from sticking. I bought a small tub of Flex
Seal paste and that stuff worked right through the wetness. Hopefully it will last long enough for me to tear out the shelving so I can get to it to replace the pipe. Thanks to you guys for all of the .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks