Search results

1. EthylOH

How to connect freestanding tub?

Hi all, I'm installing my freestanding tub and I have a few questions: 1) Can I use a 1.5" threaded female coupling to directly connect to the drain? I have full access to the tub underneath, and I haven't run the drain line yet, so I don't need to get the fit exact. 2) If I can do it that...
  2. EthylOH

Laughably bad soldering job (is this going to leak?)

Hi all, I just plumbed in the shower for my bathroom. It looks terrible, but no leaks on 24 joints. One thing that concerns me is the drop elbow line in the picture below: When I was sweating the drop elbow, I had the 90 degree fitting pulled horizontal towards me so that I could keep the...
  3. EthylOH

How to connect IPS to NPT.

Hi all, I have a tub faucet that I need to connect. http://www.kingstonbrass.com/v/images/tech/measurement/CC1T8.pdf This will be an on-the-wall installation. I have 3/4" NPT drop elbows mounted in between the studs. When I tried to thread the faucet, I couldn't get the threads to completely...
  4. EthylOH

Ok to resolder pipe (within a minute of original solder job)?

Hi all, Today I added new PEX lines to an existing copper setup. The copper/PEX transitions are brass, so I used MAPP gas instead of propane. One of the copper pipes was near a joist such that I couldn't get a good view of the solder job without moving the step-stool. Everything seemed fine...
  5. EthylOH

Installed Vents. Please Doublecheck My Work. Thanks!

I just finished running the vents. There is one vent on the sink wall, and then two vents on the opposing wall for the tub and shower. The sink vent ties in with the shower and tub vents in the attic. The shower and tub vents will be connected in the basement when I run the drain...
  6. EthylOH

Bathroom sink drain size (1.5" vs. 2")

I'm plumbing in the PVC drain line for a single bathroom sink. It's about 5 feet away from the main stack in the house. I just assumed I would use 2" pipe, but I've also read that 1.5" may actually be better due to the fact that less solids will build up. (Other than toothpaste and hair, I...
  7. EthylOH

PEX branch for bathroom vs. individual lines off main branch

Hi all, I'm about to run the PEX for my bathroom. I'm adapting from 1/2" copper main to a 3/4" PEX line. Will it make any difference if I run a branch off the main for my bathroom versus individual line off the main for each fixture? If I run a branch, I can get away with one set of shut-off...
  8. EthylOH

Bathroom exhaust duct length

Hi all, I'm in the middle of my bath renovation, and I'm having some difficulty deciding where to run the vent. I have 3 choices: through the roof: (not my favorite idea here in New England. We definitely get enough snow that the vent would get covered during the winter. And I'd rather not...
  9. EthylOH

Quick vent question (near main stack)

Hi, I'm adding a new sink right next to my toilet, which is right above the main stack. Do I need to add a vent for the sink? The waste line will only be 5 feet long from the stack, and about 3 feet vertical (2" drain pipe).
  10. EthylOH

What size CI is this (and which Fernco donut to buy)?

Hi all, I'm trying to transition from CI to PVC on my main stack for a new drain line. I need a Fernco donut, but there are two available (service weight and XH). Looking at the markings on the 4" toilet elbow, I believe that it is the XH type CI. However, the 2" hub looks much smaller...
  11. EthylOH

Are PEX brands cross compatible?

I have a quick question... I bought the Apollo Pex Cinch tool (NOT the crimp tool) from Lowes. I'm repiping my bathroom and laundry room, and I want to add a bunch of shut-off valves to each fixture. I can purchase the Apollo version at Lowes for $12/each, or I can buy a bunch at...
  12. EthylOH

Will I notice any difference in flow between these two setups?

Trying to make the final decision on piping my shower. Will option "a" make any difference at all in flow to rainhead? 3/4" PEX main line with tee to either: a) 3/4" PEX adapted to 1/2" copper sweated to Moen 8371 valve (made for copper) b) 1/2" PEX directly to Moen 8373 valve (built-in...
  13. EthylOH

Cast iron drain pipe too short after flange removal - what are my options?

Hi all, I'm in the process of remodeling my bathroom. Since my old plywood subfloor had a lot of water rot, I had to remove it. This necessitated removal of the old cast iron closet flange. Here's the problem... The drain pipe inside the flange was cut way too short when they originally built...
  14. EthylOH

PEX, Copper, or CPVC for separate shower (w/ rainhead) and tub?

Hi all, New member here... I've spent hours reading up on this topic, but I still can't seem to decide what my best approach is. Right now, I'm in the middle of a full master bath remodel. My old shower/tub combo is fed with a 1/2" copper line. I have full access to all the plumbing from my...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks