How to connect freestanding tub?

Users who are viewing this thread

EthylOH

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm installing my freestanding tub and I have a few questions:

1) Can I use a 1.5" threaded female coupling to directly connect to the drain? I have full access to the tub underneath, and I haven't run the drain line yet, so I don't need to get the fit exact.

2) If I can do it that way, do I need to use teflon tape or pipe dope? The female threaded fitting is PVC, and the male threaded fitting is brass.

3) I bought a 1.5" p-trap with cleanout plug at Home Depot. Now that I look at it, the 90 degree bend seems really sharp. On top of that, the weir looks like it will be really shallow (only about 1.5"). Can I toss the street elbow and extend it into a regular 90 with a little bit of pipe in-between?

I've attached pics to help.

Thanks in advance.

tub drain.jpg

tub drain setup.jpg

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Doesn't this tub have an overflow? That drain thread is not NTP thread like the PVC fitting you show. You need a compression sleeve/nut like shown in this photo.
I'm not a pro - but this is what I think you have.

Delta bath waste assembly.JPG

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1.5" slip joint nut and slip joint washer to a 1.5" tubular tail piece, into a 1.5" trap adapter.

Or you may be able to use the 1.5" FA shown in your picture. Tape works fine for that.
The trap is fine too.

EthylOH

Reaction score
Ok so slight problem.

I went to Lowes and bought the PVC tailpiece. The issue now is that there aren't enough threads on the tub drain for the tailpiece plastic nut to fully compress the washer.

So I assume I need to buy a brass tailpiece like this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-1-1-2-in-Brass-Sink-Tailpiece/1070273

And connect it with a nut like this one (metal, and seems to have less threads):
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Mfg-Co-1-1-2-in-Metal-Slip-Joint-Nut/1070377

Is there any way to avoid this tailpiece altogether? I was thinking more about the female coupling in my original post, but won't the fact that the threads aren't tapered prevent me from getting a water-tight seal (particularly when there are only 3 threads on the brass drain)?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks