Ok to resolder pipe (within a minute of original solder job)?

Users who are viewing this thread

EthylOH

Reaction score
Hi all,

Today I added new PEX lines to an existing copper setup.

The copper/PEX transitions are brass, so I used MAPP gas instead of propane.

One of the copper pipes was near a joist such that I couldn't get a good view of the solder job without moving the step-stool. Everything seemed fine, but the obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive, can't-leave-well-enough-alone side of me decided that there wasn't enough solder showing on the other side, so I added more heat/solder to the joint within 30 seconds of initially forming the joint.

Is this joint compromised? I always thought soldering was a one shot deal, so should I cut it out and start fresh?

Thanks!

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Is this joint compromised?

No.

I always thought soldering was a one shot deal,
Who told you that?
wasn't enough solder showing on the other side,
It isn't the solder that you see that matters. It is the solder that is in the joint. Some plumbers will wipe off the exposed flux after putting a joint together so that the solder doesn't stick to exposed pipe. Makes a real neat joint, you can hardly see any solder when they are through.
but the obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive, can't-leave-well-enough-alone side of me
Very good at self analysis aren't you.

PS
Using excessive amounts of solder can make the melted solder run inside the joint where it can fall to a cold pipe. Hot solder doesn't stick to cold pipe. Well, not permanently. It later breaks loose and moves the the next available valve and stops up the valve. Suggest you flush your line well before adding any valves.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here is a trick of the trade: Use a small mirror and a flashlight (if dark) to see and inspect the back of the pipe being soldered.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you've run water through the joint, you can't resolder it to fix things - you have to take it apart, clean it, and start over. If you've burned all of the flux out, you may not get a good seal if you reheat things and add more solder. Otherwise, no problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks