Search results

1. Bcarlson78248

Floor joists in the way of new toilet and shower

We have a new side porch that is fully enclosed and waiting for plumbing and electrical. When I looked at the plumbing layout and the location of the floor joists, it looks like both the toilet and the shower are directly over floor joists. I'm trying to figure the best solution to work around...
  2. Bcarlson78248

Input on Rheem Power Vent water heaters

I have an old (1992) gas water heater that needs replacing, and during the replacement I would like to get rid of the existing 3" metal flue and use a horizontal vent. This is all part of an ongoing renovation, where I'm trying to reduce the number of flues I need to frame around in the new...
  3. Bcarlson78248

Moisture control in conditioned crawl space

I'm building an addition that has a conditioned crawl space of about 160 sq ft. We already have plans for one 32"x24" access from the basement to the new crawl space, and a 2nd 12"x12" opening to the basement at the other end so there will be cross ventilation. Now the city wants us to add...
  4. Bcarlson78248

Alternatives for high efficiency tank gas water heater

My current 40 gallon gas water heater was installed in my basement in 1992, so its probably time for a replacement. I plan to do it as part of a larger renovation, so I have the opportunity to reconfigure things a little and look for higher efficiency. Factors to consider - I need a short...
  5. Bcarlson78248

Running trap primer line for P-trap

I bought the floor drain P-trap shown below and it has a built-in threaded 1/2" fitting for a trap primer. Do I just put a 1/2" pvc line on this and run it up through the slab? I don't plan to install the trap primer device right now, but want to have the connection available if I add one...
  6. Bcarlson78248

Fernco/No-Hub not sealing on cast iron

I dug up my basement floor to access the existing 1940 4" cast iron drain pipe and add a new floor drain connection. I cut the CI pipe in two places and added in the connection for the new drain using 4" pvc and two No-Hub (metal banded) Fernco fittings for PVC to CI . However, on one side I...
  7. Bcarlson78248

Vent planning for basement renovation

I am renovating my basement now and would like to open up the floor and lay in new drain pipe for a future bath upstairs. I would also like to install a floor drain next to the boiler and water heater, since the emergency valves now just dump on the cement floor (no drain nearby). If I lay in...
  8. Bcarlson78248

Adding basement floor drain

I have a 4" cast iron pipe under my basement floor and plan to Y into it to run an additional 3" drain pipe to a new soil stack diagonally about 12 feet across the room. This new stack will serve a new bathroom on the 1st floor. Since there is no floor drain where the new stack will be, and...
  9. Bcarlson78248

Recommendation for new 40 gal gas hot water heater

I bought my house about two years ago and the AO smith water seems to be working fine. However, I took a look at the date tag and it looks like it was manufactured in 1992. Since the heater is not near the floor drains it will make quite a mess if it leaks, so I think its time to plan for a...
  10. Bcarlson78248

Vanity drain connection in wall too low

When my bathroom was remodeled we roughed-in the vanity sink drain at about 19". However, the vanity I bought is one with a drawer underneath, so the P-trap ends up quite high in the cabinet. The sink drain connection would work better if the wall connection was about 2-3" higher, so it would...
  11. Bcarlson78248

Adding basement radiators to two pipe system

I have a Buderus gas boiler with a 1940-vintage two pipe system that uses 1" main pipe and 1/2" feeder pipes to supply four 1st floor and four 2nd floor radiators (total of 8 radiators). The system works well to heat the house evenly (630 square feet/floor, located in the DC area). I want...
  12. Bcarlson78248

Backer board for prefab shower

I'm installing a Dreamline neoangle two piece corner shower surround (two acrylic/fiberglass panels that interlock in the corner) and will need backer board. I plan to use cement board instead of greenboard, but the acrylic surround should stop most direct moisture penetration, so its not quite...
  13. Bcarlson78248

Buried Fernco/Mission coupling - use metal banded or all rubber?

I am remodeling a basement bathroom and have excavated around the existing 4" XH cast iron drain pipe. I will be cutting this pipe off and then connecting it to new 4" PVC drain pipe that will serve the relocated fixtures. I need to comply with the 2009 Virginia plumbing code, which is based...
  14. Bcarlson78248

Please review my plan for bath plumbing

I'm renovating my basement bathroom & laundry and need to move all the fixtures around and replumb. I have the concrete out to expose the existing cast iron pipe, but would appreciate a quick review of my plan for the new plumbing. I have an existing 3" CI XH drain pipe that serves the current...
  15. Bcarlson78248

Bathroom Remodel - When do I bring the plumber in?

My 1940 house was built with a very rough bathroom in the basement. In a corner it currently has a commode bolted to the cement wall, a shower/floor drain that has been converted to a shower, and a drain for the washing machine and utility sink. All the existing drain connections are within...
  16. Bcarlson78248

Adding attic insulation over rock wool

My 1940 house only has about 6 inches of rockwool insulation in the attic and I want to improve the situation. The attic is very square and open, with only a few obstructions from vent stacks, and the center section (about 8 feet wide and 20 feet long) is floored. The attic also has only two...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks