Recommendation for new 40 gal gas hot water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I bought my house about two years ago and the AO smith water seems to be working fine. However, I took a look at the date tag and it looks like it was manufactured in 1992. Since the heater is not near the floor drains it will make quite a mess if it leaks, so I think its time to plan for a replacement.

My requirements: 40 gallon natural gas water heater. Current heater is about 53" to top of the tank, but I could go another 4-5" taller and still keep the right angle for the flue. I do have space for a larger diameter heater.

In the past I've bought heaters from a plumbing supplier, but I'm in Northern Virginia now and most of the suppliers I found only sell to businesses. For that reason Home Depot or Lowes will probably be the most convenient source.

Any suggestions on brands to buy or to avoid? I'm not looking for anything fancy. I know I may find some of the new designs on the shelf now, but I'm willing to take either new or old if the price is right.

Thanks,

Bruce

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks