Vanity drain connection in wall too low

Users who are viewing this thread

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
When my bathroom was remodeled we roughed-in the vanity sink drain at about 19". However, the vanity I bought is one with a drawer underneath, so the P-trap ends up quite high in the cabinet. The sink drain connection would work better if the wall connection was about 2-3" higher, so it would line up better with the drain line coming straight out of the P-trap.

I can put a couple of 90's on the pipe coming out of the wall and make the sink connection higher, but that seems like a brute force solution. Is there some other type of adapter that would provide a one-piece solution?

Thanks,

Bruce

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is not only "brute force" but it creates an illegal, and undesirable, "S" trap. raise the pipe in the wall, which may require extensive remodeling if the pipe goes sideways to the sanitary tee, or cut the drawer around the trap.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It is not only "brute force" but it creates an illegal, and undesirable, "S" trap. raise the pipe in the wall, which may require extensive remodeling if the pipe goes sideways to the sanitary tee, or cut the drawer around the trap.

The "S" trap you have made can cause the trap to siphon. You no longer have the built in advantage of the proper venting in the wall.
Since you have added the 90's, you will need to add an AAV to break the siphon.

Sed

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a similar issue. Can I use this type of trap and expect the same or similar results from a typical plastic ptrap?

bottle-trap-r.jpg

Thank you,

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a similar issue. Can I use this type of trap and expect the same or similar results from a typical plastic ptrap?
No. A regular trap lets you swivel within limits, to get alignment. A bottle trap must have its trap adapter already lined up with the tailpiece to work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks