Buried Fernco/Mission coupling - use metal banded or all rubber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I am remodeling a basement bathroom and have excavated around the existing 4" XH cast iron drain pipe. I will be cutting this pipe off and then connecting it to new 4" PVC drain pipe that will serve the relocated fixtures. I need to comply with the 2009 Virginia plumbing code, which is based on the 2009 IPC.

I thought that under a slab the drain pipe was supported by the fill dirt, so you used an all-rubber Fernco coupling to tie PVC to CI. In fact, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the metal banded couplings were not recommended for under slab use. However, in another forum question Terry said he recommended the banded coupling to stabilize the pipe for a buried installation.

What is the right type of Fernco/Mission coupling to use for a buried connection from 4" PVC to 4" CI XH?

Thanks,

Bruce

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Teh all rubber "Fernco" is ONLY permitted underground "outside" the building. The banded ones are used indoors, and if they could not be used underground there is no way we could install cast iron drain systems.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
As a plumber, I don't use rubber couplings.
I do use the banded, or shielded couplings with the metal wrap. It's the only way to pass an inspection.

mission_bandseal.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks