Running trap primer line for P-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I bought the floor drain P-trap shown below and it has a built-in threaded 1/2" fitting for a trap primer. Do I just put a 1/2" pvc line on this and run it up through the slab? I don't plan to install the trap primer device right now, but want to have the connection available if I add one later. I figured that running the 1/2" line next to the vent line would give the small PVC pipe some support for running up the wall to a water pipe.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Ch...CH=RV-_-rv_search_plp_rr-_-NA-_-202274044-_-N

Thanks,

Bruce

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand why PVC would be a bad choice. The P-trap is PVC and it has a threaded PVC fitting. If I connect copper I assume I would have to protect it where it contacts the cement, but a PVC line could be run up directly through the cement. I have no problem installing either one, but would like to understand why one is better than the other. This is the type of valve I plan to use.
http://www.siouxchief.com/docs/defa...trap-primer-valve---primeperfect.pdf?sfvrsn=2
There is pressure in the primer line to the trap only when water is allowed to run down to the trap, and since the line is open at the trap end there would be no build-up of pressure.

Thanks,

Bruce

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Not a pro, but here's my two cents...

If you run PVC, up the wall, the transition to the (metal) pipe from the primer would be problematic, and you would want it to be outside the wall -- ugly and fragile.

Mike Garrod

Mike G
Reaction score
Just use a brass fitting (MIP x PEX) Into the trap, and run sleeved PEX up through your slab. At your trap primer transition to copper if you want to give it some ridgidity. Anything after your trap primer is not pressurized. And don't forget a debris loop :)

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you use PVC to connect to the drain, it will probably have to be with a male adapter, and those have a tendency to crack if there is ANY stress on them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks