Search results

1. Geniescience

perceptions of Big Government. What To Do About It.

A recurring problem is that people say everyone in Washington is (insert negative here). Ian, what can be done? Seriously. There ARE countries, where things work. Bureaucracies function. The political system "works" well. I think that for as long as people generalize about Politics and...
  2. Geniescience

Two 6A devices on a 15A circuit (?)

Can I hear whether this is definitely unwise, or if it's acceptable: Two 6A devices on a 15A circuit. Neither require a dedicated circuit. The circuit is below the kitchen countertop.
  3. Geniescience

self-closing valve for faucets. (Foot pedal?)

Do they make self-closing valves? For a home. On-off, let go and it closes. Not a metering faucet. Something like T&S BRASS B-0708 but beautiful. It's for filtered water. And another one for the IHW. Right now I'm using a $10 ball valve. I want to upgrade. I just want the valve and a...
  4. Geniescience

Pressure Regulating Valve before one tap with Instant Hot tank

Many are sold without PRV. Some are sold with a PRV. Do you recommend it ? Highly or partially ? E.g. without http://www.anaheimmfg.com/products/hotwater/hot_water.html "Quick & Hot" E.g. With it: http://waterstoneco.com/p-standard-hot-tank.cfm "Quick & Hot" and new label too An...
  5. Geniescience

4" DWV done in ABS in underground garage in a highrise

I just drove into a renovated underground garage in a highrise building. The drains were 4" DWV all ABS. There was some cast iron left from before the renovation, in the floor of the lowest level of the garage. Since when are plastic drains OK in concrete highrise buildings?
  6. Geniescience

Control panel to look simple, for several faucets

I'm figuring out a faucet handles control board. The handles are a series of turn knobs in a line up. The knobs have oblong covers so you can more easily turn them with 1 or 2 fingers, and you can see when one is already turned, and by how much. It's for several reasons. Hot mains, aerated...
  7. Geniescience

putting hot water into a pot filler (single valve)

I'm wondering why pot filler faucets all are spec'd for Cold Water Only. I would like to run mixed water through one of these. I would add a mixer and forget about the single valve on the pot filler. Obviously I could contact all the manufacturers and ask them about running various...
  8. Geniescience

What's In a Faucet. Can I Make My Own Faucet from Various Parts?

Flex lines go from valve (mixer or two separate valves) to the spout, more and more these days. Roughs are not all "hard" brass these days. In https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?10876-What-s-in-a-faucet I saw "Rough-in valves are brand specific" also "....valves are EXTREMELY...
  9. Geniescience

Connect a fridge. Pro's and Con's of Pex vs Braided Stainless vs Copper vs Plastic

There are many ways to connect a fridge, from under the sink cabinet a couple feet away. There are many materials for the supply line. Can we flesh out the Pro's and Con's? Pex vs Braided Stainless Flex vs Coiled Soft Copper vs Plastic All I know for certain is that cute little...
  10. Geniescience

Faucets connecting with 1/2"D IPS or with 3/8"D IPS (Flex lines)

Do kitchen faucets come with connections that are 1/2"D or 3/8"D ? Or could it be either? I've seen flex lines on new faucets with 1/2" IPS threads.
  11. Geniescience

DFU load when 2 dishwashers. ( = 3" pipe ? )

Is this right? 2 DFUs per dishwasher 2 DFUs per kitchen faucet Total is 6 DFU when there are two DWs, and that requires a drain pipe diameter of 3" Total is 4 DFU when there is one DW, and that requires a drain pipe diameter of 2" Y / N ?
  12. Geniescience

Parts: Keyboard style levers for On-Off valves

Anyone know of sources for parts? Some modern taps have valves you don't rotate, instead you press them in one direction to open, and then pull them up to stop.
  13. Geniescience

Anything with O rings. Making an articulating faucet arm.

I'm looking into making an articulating faucet arm. Like a pot filler, like a Kohler Karbon, like a Grohe Freehander. Does anyone know a source for the joints? Anything with O rings. Thank you!
  14. Geniescience

Knee & Foot Pedal Valves; Press-to-Start Valves

A recent query, about "automatic" faucets that stop functioning because of a power outage, reminded to tell you all how much we are all living in a previous century. I'm upset, I'm frustrated, I've had it. It's so hard to find anything out when I go looking for (what I consider to be) simple...
  15. Geniescience

Dishwasher plumbing - when far distance from sink

I'm working on plans for a kitchen with the dishwasher located far from the kitchen sink. The drain would be about ten feet long. As far as I see it, the high loop has to be near the dishwasher. There is no countertop air gap by plumbing code here. After the high loop the drain line can...
  16. Geniescience

over-the-range microwave ovens. Yeah or Nay?

Compared to real kitchen exhaust fans, are over-the-range microwave ovens just toys? Are they noisy? Are they good? Kitchen exhaust fans can be low-noise. I don't turn noisy fans on. David
  17. Geniescience

World Toilet Association

(from Reuters) - Lack of proper toilet facilities and sanitation kills almost two million people a year, most of them children, the World Toilet Association said at its first meeting, held earlier today. .... About 1.8 million people die every year from diarrheal diseases that are mainly...
  18. Geniescience

brassing copper

I once read about using a strong alkali on copper to put a finish on it that wouldn't corrode. Has anyone seen or done this? A hydroxide rubbed on cooper wouldn't put any zinc or chromium on the surface of the copper, so I wonder what this process was. Seems to me that it would be useful...
  19. Geniescience

I may break code

Under a hand rinse sink (one DFU) I need to install a "close elbow" in order to hide the plumbing from view. The sink is on a slim counter and they don't want to see the pipes under the counter. The plan is to send the waste straight back to the wall, immediately after it drops through the...
  20. Geniescience

globe valve. not gate, not ball.

am wondering about globe valves, but can't find much about them. Why are they suited to variable flow situations? How do they work? Do they make less noise when they are partially shut / partially open? David
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks