Two 6A devices on a 15A circuit (?)

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by geniescience, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Can I hear whether this is definitely unwise, or if it's acceptable:
    Two 6A devices on a 15A circuit.

Neither require a dedicated circuit.
    The circuit is below the kitchen countertop.
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

If 6 + 6 still = 12, and as long as the devices will not exceed 15 amps total, you're good to go.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

We generally tend to follow the 80% rule for single fed devices. However, many of the equipment I deploy have load balancing power supplies fed by two or three circuits so if one circuit were to fail the other one or two need to be able to pick up the slack so I have to base it on worst case possibility.

http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_sizing_circuit_breaker/
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

80% of 15 = 12. I still say the would be no problem.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I we cannot put two 6 amp loads on a 15 amp circuit, we will have to re-write the building codes and completely rethink how we live!!!!!