Search results

1. Bjferri

Replacing light switch with a Timer that has an extra Red Wire.

I opened up the electrical box that has 3 light switches. So, I have the white cluster of wires all bundled up, same with the black, same with the ground. The light switch has the ground and 2 blacks (top "on" and bottom "off") so I'm assuming the bottom is hot and the top the load. My...
  2. Bjferri

83% Efficiency Columbia Gas Boiler w/ Heat Manager?

If I'm lookimg for Reliability, how does that system sound? I was told with the Heat Manager I can get an extra 10% efficiency. I read too many problems with High Efficiency Systems to include issues w/ SS Heat Exchangers, leaking, etc...too many to list.
  3. Bjferri

Replacing Gas Boiler & Water Heater. WITH WHAT???

I always thought Weil McLain was the best. I planned to use Ultra Plus 230 Condensing high efficiency boiler w/ Ultra Plus 40 indirect heater but web searches reveal issues and poor reviews. Now I need Subject Matter Experts like yourselfs to help me. I have the funds to do this once but...
  4. Bjferri

Replaceing Oil Boiler and Electric Hot Water Heater w/ Gas

I need help making this decision please…looking at it from a long term economical stand point. A) Do I purchase a hot water heater and boiler and vent through the chimney? If so, I’ll need to spend $2000 for a stainless steel liner to re-line the chimney. B) Or, do I spend a little...
  5. Bjferri

Replaceing Oil Boiler and Electric Hot Water Heater w/ Gas

I need help making this decision please…looking at it from a long term economical stand point. A) Do I purchase a hot water heater and boiler and vent through the chimney? If so, I’ll need to spend $2000 for a stainless steel liner to re-line the chimney. B) Or, do I spend a little...
  6. Bjferri

Basement Leak from small hole in concrete foundation floor.

1937 home has a small hole, perhaps the size of a nickel and approx 2 feet from wall, in the concrete floor. Extremely heavy rain pushes clay up through the hole, not a lot, but creates a mess nonetheless. What can I do? If I plug it will this cause fractures in basement floor...
  7. Bjferri

Silverline Windows by Anderson

I don't know too much about these windows but are these low grade windows? I'm leaning towards Simonton 9800 that I've used and I've also used Anderson 400 series. Since I'm looking for a good quality vinyl window is a Silverline a good quality vinyl window?
  8. Bjferri

FLAT Roof - Ice and Water Shield (I&WS)

I always lean towards overkill unfortuanately - is it a good idea to I&WS the entire roof before installing the TPO / Duro-Last membrane? Thanks is advance...
  9. Bjferri

Flat Roof...TPO or Dura-Last

I was planning on using white TPO but was introduced to the Dura-Last. Everything I read leads me to believe Dura-Last may be the way to go... Your thoughts?
  10. Bjferri

Buildidng a Detached Garage...questions I should ask from contractor?

I will be getting estimates from contractors to have a 2-car garage built. I’ve received a verbal estimate at 100k, one at 15k, but more averaged around 30k. These are w/o going into any detail about materials and processes. I don’t know what to ask… All I know is what roofing, siding...
  11. Bjferri

Flat Roof Options / Advice...

I need flat roof advice / options. I’m purchasing this home and there are minor issues with the flat roof. I never wanted a home with a flat roof but in any case…there is living area beneath this roof. I don’t want to be the homeowner that has flat roof leaks that either goes...
  12. Bjferri

Electrical - Dishwasher hookup.

What is the proper/standard (code) way to run the electric to the dishwasher? So far I have the wire coming out of the wall behind the sink cabinet. I kow the connection is made from within that cabinet but here are my questions: Where do I set the junction box. Do I make it hardwired. Do...
  13. Bjferri

3-way Light Switch setup for 2 lights - can't get it to work.

First, please tell me if I am missing a wire in my current configuration... My configuration: First 3-way Light switch on Wall A where hot wire is fed. First light switch runs (1) 14/3 wire to first light box in ceiling. First light box runs (2) 14/2 wires to second light box. Second...
  14. Bjferri

Above Range Microwaves

What height (or standard) should the outlet be for the above range microwave?
  15. Bjferri

Boiler not firing up for 2nd zone, only 1st zone

Boiler burner not igniting for 2nd zone, only 1st zone The circulating pump is working for the 2nd zone, so why doesn't the flue damper open and burner ignite? One thing may have contributed...the water was shut off for the 2nd zone while it/pump/thermostat was on. It wasn't until the...
  16. Bjferri

Cast Iron Baseboard Radiator

Removing this from my kitchen I want to save it for future use. Looking at the backside near the top, I see the sections that are bolted together. The bottom part where the water runs through have tight close fitting seams. How are these seams held together? Am I able to remove a section...
  17. Bjferri

Spray Foam Insulation for Vented Porch Crawlspace??

Is this a good idea? Joists are presently too far apart to use standard fiberglass insulation, I'd have to 2X4 sections to create the 16". I see the pro's but my only con is: I don't like the idea of insulating over the wires that run between joists. What if in the future I need access...
  18. Bjferri

Replacing Cast Iron Waste in Kitchen Wall

My house is 1920's and I'm currently doing kitchen renovation. Since I have the kitchen gutted and the cast iron waste exposed, I'm thinking it's a good idea to replace it with PVC... If I do...when I make the cuts from the kitchen to remove that section what prevents the section above from...
  19. Bjferri

Draining Heating System to Remove Radiator

Draining Heating System to Remove Radiator? :confused:I have a 2 zoned hot water baseboard radiator system in my 2 story home. I had a new Weil Mclain boiler installed last year and asked that they add lots of shut offs so I can easily remove a radiator w/o draining the entire system...
  20. Bjferri

Roof Mounted Attic Fan on a Dimmer Switch?

I have an Nutone attic exhaust fan I would like to slow down a bit. Can I put a dimmer switch of some sort on it? Any ideas? They sell similar items to control ceiling fan speed - is that an option?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks