3-way Light Switch setup for 2 lights - can't get it to work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
First, please tell me if I am missing a wire in my current configuration...

My configuration:

First 3-way Light switch on Wall A where hot wire is fed. First light switch runs (1) 14/3 wire to first light box in ceiling. First light box runs (2) 14/2 wires to second light box. Second light box runs (1) 14/3 back down to second 3-way Light switch to Wall B.

Forget about the connections for now...am I missing a wire?:confused::confused:

Thank you in advance...

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Diagram attached...

Here's a diagram I followed I thought to a T. Does this diagram look faulty? After following this I still have no luck...

Attachments

• 3-way,%20multiple%20lights%20in%20middle,%20connected%20with%204%20wires%20between%20lights.gif
    3-way,%20multiple%20lights%20in%20middle,%20connected%20with%204%20wires%20between%20lights.gif
    12 KB · Views: 42,188

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
The diagram is correct, except that the white wire that is not connected to the neutral
should be reidentified, i.e. made some color other than white. This is typically done by
using colored electrical tape. Check your connections.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok, don't look at the diagram for a minute (its right, just maybe slightly more confusing). For a 3-way to work the first thing you need is a pair of wires (called travelers) that run from one switch to the other with nothing else connected to them. This would be the red and black wires in a piece of 14-3. Now if you look at a 3-way switch there will be one screw that is a different color. Do not connect the travelers to this screw, connect the red and black travelers to each of the other screws. It does not matter which you connect the red or the black to. (If your are going to do it the way your diagram shows you need to be sure you don't screw up which piece of 14-2 is carrying your travelers between the fixtures.)

On wall A connect the hot(black) wire to the remaining screw on the 3-way switch and connect the white(neutral) to the white wire that belongs to the 14-3.

Now for the second 3-way. Run a piece of 14-2 from fixture one, to fixture 2 and then down to the second 3-way. Connect your light fixtures (white to white, black to black). At the second 3-way connect the black wire from you 14-2 to the remaining unused terminal on your 3-way and the white wire to the white wire from the 14-3. Your done.

Basically for a 3-way setup to work you apply power at one 3-way, have a pair of travelers connecting the 2 three ways together and connect your lights at the other 3 way. Its done this way in the diagram, just not as clearly because of the way the neutral/white wire is run.

Also I've seen plenty of bad 3-way switches. If your sure the wiring is correct go to a different store, buy two more 3-ways and swap them out. (Bad 3-ways sometimes come in batches hence the reason for a different store).

-rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks