Cast Iron Baseboard Radiator

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bjferri, Oct 31, 2009.

1. bjferri

bjferri DoD Army

Removing this from my kitchen I want to save it for future use. Looking at the backside near the top, I see the sections that are bolted together. The bottom part where the water runs through have tight close fitting seams.
    How are these seams held together? Am I able to remove a section to use a shorter run?

Thanks.
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

They use press nipples, which are tapered on both sides and the bolts draw the sections together. shorting one is a hit or miss proposition and depends a lot on the condition of the nipples
  3. bjferri

bjferri DoD Army

Thank you Peter...
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

baseboard

Remove the bolts and "wiggle" the section and it will come apart, but you will normally need new push nipples since yours will have been compressed by the original installation and MAY not reseal if you reuse them.
  5. bjferri

bjferri DoD Army

Ahh - okay! Thanks...