Replacing light switch with a Timer that has an extra Red Wire.

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by bjferri, Jan 24, 2014.

1. bjferri

bjferri DoD Army

I opened up the electrical box that has 3 light switches. So, I have the white cluster of wires all bundled up, same with the black, same with the ground. The light switch has the ground and 2 blacks (top "on" and bottom "off") so I'm assuming the bottom is hot and the top the load. My questions is: Where do I make the Red wire connection from the timer?
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

It came with no instructions? A timer would need hot and neutral to power itself. The red is likely for the load. Given that we have the internet, manufacturer's instructions should not be hard to find.
  3. bjferri

bjferri DoD Army

Thanks. It came with Instructions albeit slightly ambiguous. I figured the Red was for the Load, Black for Hot, etc.

Question. That switch I'm replacing has the Hot at the Top, with the Load at the bottom. The other switches in the Box have Hot on bottom and Load at Top. I'm confused with Hot on top...?
  4. ankhseeker

ankhseeker Member

It might also be a 3 way switch? BAC are there 2 switches to operate that light?
  5. bjferri

bjferri DoD Army

It's not a 3 way switch but it does control 2 outside lights.