Shutoff valve quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bosun

Reaction score
Hi--just wondering what you guys like for shutoff valves. I have installed Brasscraft from HD before--some that only require a 90 degree turn. On a larger project we had a plumber who used the "traditional" style Wolverine with a multiple turn stem--he said he liked them better. What's up?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Brands include BOB, Watts, Brasscraft. Each brand sells a "cheapy" version with plastic stem, and a better version with a brass stem.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

Few plumbers here still use the "multi turn" valves as their preferred method. They all use 1/4 turn valves, although which brand depends on the one carried by their wholesaler. There is little variation in the quality between manufacturers.

hevnbnd

Reaction score
I saw a display at my local plumbing supply for some vavle that pushed on the copper and made its connection. What brand is it? Any good?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Very few of those valves have a quality mechanism in them, and they can be very difficult to remove when you do have to replace them. They are designed for the "racehorse" plumbers who need to do the job as quickly and cheaply as possible in order to not lose money on the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks