Kohler Pedestal sink / drain issue

Users who are viewing this thread

jlachowin

Reaction score
Hello!

New to the forums, I will start to look around but I need some emergency help before I have to call a plummer :eek:

I removed a old sink/vanity/drain from my bathroom, and installed a Kohler in place. I bought a new p trap system, and have it installed, but whenever I turn the water on (no leaks), if you leave the water on for 5-10 seconds, the water will fill up into the tail piece of the drain and just fill the sink but won't drain.

I haven't touched the wall drain pipe, I have no idea whats going on. No blockage or clog exits. Below pics, does everything look ok? I had a chrome wall pipe, but it was fairly short so I just picked up a pvc wall pipe (longer), but it's still not draining into the wall. Any ideas???
Thanks in advance!

Justin - Milwaukee

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 5,026
  • IMG_0727.jpg
    IMG_0727.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,665

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
That's quite a combobulation that you've got there. What is that wood for?

If it's not flowing, you've got a clog somewhere. Did the drain work when you removed the previous sink? Did it drain slowly or not at all? My guess is that plumbers putty that you stuffed around the tailpiece has falled into the trap and is causing a clog. If that's not it, I would remove the pop up drain assembly and see if that doesn't help at all. There could be something stuck on/in it. I'm assuming the pop drain is up (open) too.

Did you remove the rag that you might have stuffed in the drain to prevent sewer gases from entering the room? ;)

Jason

jlachowin

Reaction score
The 2x4 is to hold brace the sink so I could gain access to the plumming, I moved the pedestal outward, etc.

The old sink drained just fine. I'm going to remove the putty and try to tighten that as much as possible, hopefully I can get this working tonight.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The trap and the wall arm should both be either metal or plastic... Not Mixed!

Its possible the wall arm is pushed to far into the wal restricting the drainage.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
No amount of tightening nuts is going to unclog your sink. I suspect that when you removed the old sink, some foreign debris got shoved in all at one time (possibly when the P-trap was removed). It may have disturbed some soap sludge combined with hair?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
The trap and the wall arm should both be either metal or plastic... Not Mixed!

Its possible the wall arm is pushed to far into the wal restricting the drainage.

Like Redwood said The wall arm might be to long. They come long so they can be cut to size.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks