please review new drain and sewer line pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

citadelcadet

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am having my washer drain line and my main sewer line replaced. The 1 story house was built in 1965 and has cast iron plumbing on a slab foundation.
The cause of the repair was a failed washer drain line. I had 3 plumbers troubleshoot and the running trap in the slab was broken. Mud pulled out.

The consistent recommendation was to either reroute the line or repair in slab. I decided to reroute as the laundry room was on an exterior wall.

The plumbing company is rerouting the line through my front yard (flower bed area). They also recommended replacing the main sewer line as they said it was potentially made from Orangeburb pipe.

I have attached pics of the work in progress.

• The 1st pic is of the pipe exiting the exterior wall the through my patio into the flower bed area of my front yard.
  • The 2nd pic is of the washer drain line running across my yard into the main sewer line
  • The 3rd pic is of the new pvc sewer line connecting with the house sewer line
  • The 4th pic is of the new pvc sewer line connecting with the city sewer line near the street
  • The 5th pic is the old main sewer pipe
  • Pic 6 is of the new plumbing in the laundry room.

I have a few questions:
1) does this look like it is being done correctly?

2) They used some type of rubber like coupling between the PVC and main house sewer line (cast iron) and the new pvc line and the city sewer line. Is this the way it is supposed to be done?

3) Anyone know what type of material my old sewer pipe was made from.. is that orangeburg... did I need to replace it?

4) Does the plumbing work in the laundry room look correct? They said they cut the old cast iron washer drain line and capped it.

5) I am being charge $4k for the job. Is that reasonable?

Any help is appreciated as the will be finishing the job soon....!

Attachments

• Resized_washer drain line running out of laundry room 2.jpg
    Resized_washer drain line running out of laundry room 2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 1,091
  • Resized2_washer drain line running to main sewer line.jpg
    Resized2_washer drain line running to main sewer line.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,321
  • Resized_new pvc sewer line connected with house sewer.jpg
    Resized_new pvc sewer line connected with house sewer.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,255
  • Resized_New PVC sewer line connecting with the city sewer line near street.jpg
    Resized_New PVC sewer line connecting with the city sewer line near street.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,560
  • Resized_old main sewer pipe.jpg
    Resized_old main sewer pipe.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 1,046

citadelcadet

Reaction score
addition pic

pic of laundry room plumbing

Attachments

• Resized_New washer plumbing.jpg
    Resized_New washer plumbing.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,599

citadelcadet

Reaction score
additional pic of old sewer pipe

what is this?

Attachments

• Resized_old main sewer pipe 2.jpg
    Resized_old main sewer pipe 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,171

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I don’t like the depth of the pipe. Where do you live? Well the pic I was looking at was only for a washer so with a good amount of fall it’ll be ok.

I would not have downed size the pipe at the street like they did. I would have pulled it into his house and then downsized it.

1) I would have not down sized the pipe at the last cleanout, I would of done it in or at the house.
2) It gets done all of the time where I live and yes its fine and about the best way to go from PVC to cast.
3) Go hit it with a hammer and let us know what happens.
4) Its not very deep if you live in a cold country but if it’s only a washer it’ll be ok if it has a good bit of fall.
5) I don’t do that kind of work. Are they fixing the pad they cut and doing all of the landscaping to look at the best 1/2 assed?

citadelcadet

Reaction score
The pipe size in washer room is 2".
It runs 2" until it exits the patio slab, then it upsizes to 3".
It runs at 3" until the main new pvc sewer line where it goes to 4" I believe.

Also,

we are in Texas

citadelcadet

Reaction score
I just got the plumber to increase the 2" horizonal pipe to 3" through the walkway

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks