Can I melt fishing weights to solder cast iron pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

roy25101

Reaction score
I need to solder a 1.5 in. copper pipe into a cast iron hub. Can I just melt some fishing weights and pour it in to seal up the hub? There is already a layer of lead in there to seal up the joint but I do need another thick layer to stabilize it? Thanks for the help.....

roy25101

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. Will common flux for copper soldering work? Also, do I need to do anything other than just apply the flux melt the lead and pour? Thanks for your time...

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Yes. any acid core flux will allow that to flow and adhere.

I just reread this, I was assuming you was installing this into a brass ferrule that is inserted into a cast iron hub, then tools are used to pack the hub and a 1" ring of lead to complete the task.

If you are inserting a straight piece of copper only, that changes my statements.

Take pictures of your task at hand as a brass ferrule is commonly used in the connection of dissimilar materials when deaaling with cast iron to copper connection. Numerous other ways to do this connection as well.

roy25101

Reaction score
Here is a picture.

I have figured that this original setup is the best for my tub drain. Unfortunately, this is under a slab..

I cannot figure out how to add a pic so here is a link to the pin.

http://www.jekyllislandairport.com/drain

drain

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
You don't solder a cast iron joint. To make a new joint you caulk it with oakum then pour lead over the oakum. From the looks of the joint you have it looks like it has been caulked . If so then just pour lead over it. Then Caulk the lead with the proper tools.

John

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Is it absolute necessary for that to remain as copper?

You could use a service weight gasketed hub to make that connection...but I can see the application now.

Cut you up some old rags in thin strips, pack that hub to where there's a 1" of space to pour your lead.

Sand that copper and flux it, nothing gets fluxed on the cast iron hub.

That way you can fill that 1" of space with lead which will lock both that copper pipe in by bonding and the grooved upper edge of the cast iron hub.

You'll be melting your whole fishing tackle box of lead weights in that fashion with the space you have to fill. :eek:

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
Is it absolute necessary for that to remain as copper?

You could use a service weight gasketed hub to make that connection...but I can see the application now.

Cut you up some old rags in thin strips, pack that hub to where there's a 1" of space to pour your lead.

Sand that copper and flux it, nothing gets fluxed on the cast iron hub.

That way you can fill that 1" of space with lead which will lock both that copper pipe in by bonding and the grooved upper edge of the cast iron hub.

You'll be melting your whole fishing tackle box of lead weights in that fashion with the space you have to fill. :eek:

Pack it with rages. Are you kidding? Your supposed to be a professional.

John

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com

John

You going to sell him a "rare" bag of oakum?

I know the odds of finding that, you do too. And he doesn't need a 10 pound bag to do one hub.

It's called "making due with what you don't have" and melting fishing lures provides proof that he's not buying a 5 pound chunk of lead either.

I am the professional and I know those strips of rags are very similar to oakum. It'll work unless you're the plumbing police and going to jerk this guy's fishing license for inappropriate use of fishing lures.

Now tell me why in my days of jerking out old cast iron that I found just that, along with old newspapers that were rolled into tight beads...original stuff.

So much for wishful thinking that plumbers always do it right.

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Reaction score
You going to sell him a "rare" bag of oakum?

I know the odds of finding that, you do too. And he doesn't need a 10 pound bag to do one hub.

It's called "making due with what you don't have" and melting fishing lures provides proof that he's not buying a 5 pound chunk of lead either.

I am the professional and I know those strips of rags are very similar to oakum. It'll work unless you're the plumbing police and going to jerk this guy's fishing license for inappropriate use of fishing lures.

Now tell me why in my days of jerking out old cast iron that I found just that, along with old newspapers that were rolled into tight beads...original stuff.

So much for wishful thinking that plumbers always do it right.

I was under the impression that the point of this form was to inform DIY's the right way of doing things. I suppose if he had a diesel engine and couldn't find diesel fuel you would tell him to use gasoline.

John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lead

You DO NOT use flux in a lead/oakum joint, regardless of what material you are connecting. You can melt lead to make fishing weights so you can do the reverse also, although it might be a bit expensive to do it.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
A hardware distributor called Bostwick-Braun still supplies oakum to independent hardware stores, and most gun shops have boxes of cast lead bullets ( NOT loaded ammo, just the bullets!) in stock.If that copper was clean, would plastic lead work?

pipepusher

master plumber/gas fitter
Reaction score
fishing weights

Use rags instead of oakum,get real. Kind of like a hard plunge on a stool will cause the wax ring to blow out .The only thing I can say is OMG.Just when you thought you heard it all another pops up.There are real plumbers and wanna be plumbers.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Time to educate

I was under the impression that the point of this form was to inform DIY's the right way of doing things. I suppose if he had a diesel engine and couldn't find diesel fuel you would tell him to use gasoline.

John

Did you write this? And did another Master Plumber along with the Owner/Expert Plumber of this site have to correct you?

You misguided the original poster of this site, probably cost him money until the ones on here that know the code stepped in and educated your gray matter.

I'll type any advice I want at my leisure if it suits the need and doesn't make for a bad situation, and given your ignorance I found in less than 4 clicks I bet you'll be viewing your statements to see if I can find any more.

Now how does a plumber not know that 3 on 3 is as common as a drinking straw at a restaurant...

I bet you was embarrassed when you found out gas doesn't work in a diesel motor.

hj I mentioned that trick with the flux on the copper because no brass ferrule means the copper pipe will instantly pull back out of the lead without. It'll make it water-tight as well.

ilya I know they still sell it; states like Illinois and New York are still using cast iron as common materials...even though I'm sure service weight gaskets are used in some applications.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Use rags instead of aqkum,get real. Kind of like a hard plunge on a stool will cause the wax ring to blow out .The only thing I can say is OMG.Just when you thought you heard it all another pops up.There are real plumbers and wanna be plumbers.

Last edited by pipepusher; Today at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling error

Wow, the 10 post wonder shows up and he can't even spell oakum right. :D

John

Uhmm...yeah. I gots some aqkum and rages so...

You all are making for a hilarious saturday night. Are you two brothers?

Last edited:

pipepusher

master plumber/gas fitter
Reaction score
fishing weights

Dunbar, I never argue with an idiot.An idiot will beat me every time because he has more experience

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flux

IF flux on the copper makes the lead stick to it, THEN the lead is contaminated with tin caused by melting solder instead of lead. And THAT is an almost guaranteed way to crack the cast iron when it is caulked. We ALWAYS tested our lead for tin before making joints. And burned it off when we found it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks