Would a TS valve function properly as a diverter valve set up like....

Users who are viewing this thread

Coolwhip

Reaction score
view

With a T fitting on the cold inlet, and the hot inlet capped off.

or

The same supply line running to both inlet ports.

And setting the "mix temp" on the TS valve to what you want the diverter temp to be?

A simple TS valve is MUCH cheaper than a diverter valve for some reason...why wouldn't this work?

Obviously capping off the hot inlet would be easier, but I would have concerns about not having any water running to one side.(even though I can't tell you why)

Attachments

• TStoDiverterConversion.jpg
    TStoDiverterConversion.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 158

Coolwhip

Reaction score
Or, if it won't work(or even if it would) can someone recommend an inexpensive diverter valve suitable for potable water that can be had for a similar price to a cheap, simple TS valve?

I don't know the rules about sourcing and pricing on the forum so feel free to PM me if needed.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
How is the valve going to control the temperature if BOTH feeds are the same temperature. If you only supply water to one side the balancing spool will shut off ALL water flow.

Juice

Reaction score
Hey HJ, the thermostatic mixing valve would only shut off outlet flow if the hot supply was coming in over 120F and no cold water was coming in. A cold supply temp, supplied to both inlets or just one, should not shut the flow off. It would be cold in, cold out.
I believe both ASSE 1069 & 1070 safety devices work this way. However, it's a moot point since both of Coolwhip's scenarios are not mixing cold and hot together... What's the point of a TS mixing valve here?

Coolwhip, what are you trying to do? It looks like you are trying to supply cold water to your hot water lines to reduce the temperature (and lose the energy your heater was putting in to make water hot).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My comment was about his second drawing whcich has the hot water capped off, which would cause a pressure balanced valve to shut down. And a thermostatic one could do nothing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks