Wire size for sub at well house?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I’m considering making a well house to keep my pressure tank and possibly some chemical injection stuff if I test positive again after I install a UV light. Otherwise it will be a storage shed. What size wire do you guys recommend running to it for a sub? Was thinking a 60amp with 6/3. I have a 240v pump that pulls 5 or less amps.

only things that will be attached mainly would be pump, heater if needed, lights, 120v outlet. Any need for more?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would think 10 awg, and feed the subpanel through a 30 amp 2-pole breaker from the house.

A bigger service could let you do more things later... Yard tools, your new welder, etc. :)

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
I would think 10 awg, and feed the subpanel through a 30 amp 2-pole breaker from the house.

A bigger service could let you do more things later... Yard tools, your new welder, etc. :)

10/3 would probably be sufficient but now you have me wanting to buy a welder... Speaking of which, are there good resources for good well house designs? Figured these things should have moisture in mind when built.

Reach4

Reaction score
Think of access for the well hoist truck.

XPS or EPS foam insulation is good, and will minimize heating needs for cold snaps.

pumping-truck.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks