whole house system - where I reduce from the 1" inlet and outlet ports to my 3/4"

Users who are viewing this thread

tbeale

Reaction score
I purchased a Pentek Big Blue Filter whole house system and am going to install it to replace a water softener. The copper pipes at the installation point are 3/4-inch. Will it make a difference in my reduction water pressure if I use 1" to 3/4" reducer bushings in the filter system's inlet and outlet ports versus reducing nipples a few inches away from the inlet and outlet ports?

I know there will be a reduction, but will it be different depending on where I reduce from the 1" inlet and outlet ports to my 3/4" plumbing?

Reach4

Reaction score
No significant difference.

I suggest RectorSeal No. 5 pipe dope on the threads, but teflon tape may be sufficient. I put 3 20*4.5 Big Blue housings in place, but one housing is empty. I tried to cheap out on pvc nipples between units, and they had a slight mold mark. It leaked slowly between housings. If I had used pipe dope, I wonder if that would have worked without leaking. As it is, I replaced the nipples.

I was not sure I needed the filters, but I figured that I might as well do it while I was at it.

Use food grade silicone grease on the O-rings. If you use petroleum jelly, your O-rings will swell up and not be reusable. I have spare O-rings just in case I need them when I change filters. It is coming up on about a year on those filters-- the last of which is 1 micron. However my Big Blue filters follow my backwashing Centaur Carbon filter, so they probably don't have that much to deal with.

You probably don't need a wrench to tighten the housings, or if you do use the wrench, be gentle. For removal, I expect at wrench is normally needed.

I added shutoff ball valves before and after my filters. Maybe overkill.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The way I do it, I install a couple of copper unions, before and after the filter housing, so it will be easy to remove the whole unit to replace the filter. The plastic wrench that comes with the unit is mostly useless, and forcing it to open the housing may damage the pipes. When the unit is out, I use two large plumber wrenches to open it.

And yes, pay attention to the O ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks