Whistling thru extract fan when water is running

Users who are viewing this thread

Ronclebanc

Reaction score
Whenever any water is running in the house whether it is faucets, toilets, dishwasher or washing machine, there is a high pitched whistling from the nutone extractor fan (whether it is on or off) in the downstairs bathroom. It is driving me crazy. Any ideas - please.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Remove the face grill (most grills are pushed in, so pull it down and you'll see a plug).

Reach4

Reaction score
Whenever any water is running in the house whether it is faucets, toilets, dishwasher or washing machine, there is a high pitched whistling from the nutone extractor fan (whether it is on or off) in the downstairs bathroom. It is driving me crazy. Any ideas - please.
I think this device you are talking about is an exhaust fan in the ceiling of the bathroom. Do your water pipes pass near that fan, in the attic? Does anybody else hear the sound to be a high pitched whistling, as you do? Where is the vent to the outside with respect to the fan?

Does this same whistle happen when you run the outside hose spigot? Does running only hot or only cold from the kitchen make that same whistle?

Last edited:

Ronclebanc

Reaction score
Well I tried that - removed grill and unplugged but the whistling conti
I think this device you are talking about is an exhaust fan in the ceiling of the bathroom. Do your water pipes pass near that fan, in the attic? Does anybody else hear the sound to be a high pitched whistling, as you do? Where is the vent to the outside with respect to the fan?

Thanks - yes it is an exhaust fan and I think the vent is on a lower roof. I've never been in the attic but am assuming water pipes do run near there. Everyone can hear it - especially the person who sleeps in the bedroom next to this bathroom.

Ronclebanc

Reaction score
It's not hard to reproduce. Every faucet, toilet flush, shower results in the same whistling:(
If a lot of water has been running such as a shower, washing machine and some faucets, the whistling goes away for a short while once water is run again. If any faucet etc is then turned on 20-30 mins later, the whistling is back. It lasts the whole time water is running and for about 10 seconds after faucet etc is turned off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks