Which pipe dope?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I have noticed plumbers all seem to have their preferred pipe dope.

I am plumbing my bathroom and need to attach the chrome shower extension to the copper stub. I also would like to use something on the metal tub drain threads where it screws into the PVC drain.

I want to make sure neither one leaks! Which pipe dope would you recommend?

Thanks!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
For your shower arm, I would use teflon tape then pipe dope. Never fails me. On the drain you can just use pipe dope if you really want to.

I use any brand. Normally ones I pinch off licensed plumbers when they pay a visit for difficult work. You can get so much off plumbers. I've nabbed sandpaper, copper fittings, pipe, dope, tape, flues. They never say no. Could be the $500 call out fee I give them.

Next I might try to nick their torch. After that, their van!

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Megaloc!

I usually wrap with teflon tape then apply megaloc over the tape.
Works for me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Mega lock is nasty....

Mega lock, Recto seal, and Slick Tight are all in a class

by themselves.... all three on them seem to be about like slopping paint around...

whatever gets on.... the tools, the floor or carpet or whareever,
it seems almost impossible to clean up.....

I am 100% sure that they all work great,

but I prefer just the plain old Teflon tape and then cheap Oatey....

which is much more freindly to my clothes,

and anything else I happen to slop it on...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I dislike tape, so I use Oatey alone when I need to seal threads. When I was a kid on the farm, all we knew about was the bottom sediment of an oil based paint can. I guess it worked. Of course it undoubtedly had lead in it. Now we have so many choices we can color code our work. All of that while using 98% less threaded joints. How times change!

KD

Reaction score
Coat both sides with pipe dope. Tighten the fitting. then take it apart. You will see that virtually ZERO pipe dope is on the threads. That is why I use teflon tape.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Seems to me that "virtually zero" is the amount I would expect on correctly-cut threads.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
This is the best...it is all I use. I can't remember the last time I had a leak. It works on plastic fittings also.

The only thing I use teflon tape on is water heater nipples...the ones from china, which seem to be all of them, don't have the threads cut right...they go and go and go then bottom out.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks