What should be min distance between bathtub outer wall and vanity ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Curiousv

Reaction score
I know between bathtub's outer edge and toilet center it has to min. 15" and center of bathtub (water drain/supply) and center of toilet it has to be 30" but not sure what distance in inches we must have between bathtub outer edge and vanity's wall towards that bathtub edge?

also min. distance required from vanity to side wall ?
Location - Tacoma WA

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure I follow the question.

Toilets need to have at least 15" from their centerline to any obstructions on either side, and 21" clear in front of them in residential settings.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any restrictions on bathtub and vanity placement. Depending on the layout, you could have a vanity cabinet tight up to a bathtub. And certainly a vanity cabinet can be installed against a side wall.

Cheers, Wayne

Curiousv

Reaction score
Not sure I follow the question.

Toilets need to have at least 15" from their centerline to any obstructions on either side, and 21" clear in front of them in residential settings.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any restrictions on bathtub and vanity placement. Depending on the layout, you could have a vanity cabinet tight up to a bathtub. And certainly a vanity cabinet can be installed against a side wall.

Cheers, Wayne
as per this image attached it says vanity should be have 15" distance from side wall?
also to clarify what about distance between vanity and bathtub ?
either centerline or edge to edge?

code-requirements-for-bathrooms.png

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't believe that drawing is correct. Left-right, all you need is 15" clear from the WC centerline to the edge of the tub and to the edge of the vanity. Which will force the vanity edge to tub edge to be at least 30".

The section I quoted above also states that the WC shall not be "closer than thirty (30) inches (762 mm) center to center to any similar fixture." I would not consider a tub or lavatory to be a similar fixture, so I do not agree with the idea shown in the drawing that the lavatory centerline has to be at least 30" from the WC center line. Or the tub center line for that matter, although any tub at least 30" wide would automatically comply with that.

If you had a tiny wall mounted corner sink that takes up only 12" on either wall, then you could fit that sink, a WC, and a 30" wide tub along a 6' long wall. 12" for the sink, 30" for the WC (centered therein), and 30" for the bathtub. Not recommended, though, it's nicer to give the WC 32" or 34" of total width.

Cheers, Wayne

Curiousv

Reaction score
?I don't believe that drawing is correct. Left-right, all you need is 15" clear from the WC centerline to the edge of the tub and to the edge of the vanity. Which will force the vanity edge to tub edge to be at least 30".

The section I quoted above also states that the WC shall not be "closer than thirty (30) inches (762 mm) center to center to any similar fixture." I would not consider a tub or lavatory to be a similar fixture, so I do not agree with the idea shown in the drawing that the lavatory centerline has to be at least 30" from the WC center line. Or the tub center line for that matter, although any tub at least 30" wide would automatically comply with that.

If you had a tiny wall mounted corner sink that takes up only 12" on either wall, then you could fit that sink, a WC, and a 30" wide tub along a 6' long wall. 12" for the sink, 30" for the WC (centered therein), and 30" for the bathtub. Not recommended, though, it's nicer to give the WC 32" or 34" of total width.

Cheers, Wayne
Ok so you are saying that I don't need to have any distance from vanity to sidewall ? it means I can but it against the sidewall without any gap?
If I got ahead with that idea ..here is the situation.
I have exactly 60" total space and I am planning to put bathtub exact at 90 degree from that direction. Tub I have is 32" wide - and vanity is 18" wide.
So center of vanity would be at 9" ? and and tub center will be 16" - so if I go ahead with this idea - it will meet the code requirement correct? because it will have required 30" clearance?
Also you said - Toilets need to have at least 15" from their centerline to any obstructions on either side, and 21" clear in front of them in residential settings
But does the same rule apply to vanity i.e that it need to have 15" clearance from its center line?

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
In order by ?:

1-4) Yes
5) No

6) No, because the WC clearance is measured to the edge of the vanity and the edge of the tub, not the centerlines. With 60" of space, and a 32" tub and an 18" vanity, that takes up 50", leaving only 10" for the WC, not 30". The WC tank wouldn't even fit. Now if you mean something different from "I have exactly 60" total space" then please post a dimensioned diagram.

7) No, as I've said twice already, the same rules do not apply to a vanity.

Wayne

Curiousv

Reaction score
I think WC you mean toilet ? water closet?
There will not be anything between tub and vanity, so it will meet the requirement of 30" clearance between tub and vanity?

WC = Water Closet = Toilet

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, WC = Water Closet = Toilet.

There is no clearance requirement between a tub and a vanity that I'm aware of. You could put a 28" vanity in that runs tight from wall to edge of tub. If the tub controls are on the same wall as the vanity, that could make accessing them awkward, but it's not prohibited.

A dimensioned proposed floor plan would allow us to advise you more effectively.

Cheers, Wayne

Curiousv

Reaction score
Yes, WC = Water Closet = Toilet.

There is no clearance requirement between a tub and a vanity that I'm aware of. You could put a 28" vanity in that runs tight from wall to edge of tub. If the tub controls are on the same wall as the vanity, that could make accessing them awkward, but it's not prohibited.

A dimensioned proposed floor plan would allow us to advise you more effectively.

Cheers, Wayne
So u said you are not aware of ...I guess to make sure if u dont mind I am involving @Terry because he also live in Seattle area.
@Terry can u please answer this question..
I want to know if there is any clearance requirement between bathtub and vanity? @Thanks @wwhitney

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks