What kind of waste overflow is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Paulcalif

Reaction score
My son and daughter-in-law, had a big leak and unfortunately, it was their second. They didn't realize that their insurance company kept their rate the same but raised their deductible from $500 to $5000 (at least that's the story I got). Anyway, upstairs leak, drywall torn out and they have no money. They did have a plumber come out and tell them the seal on the tub overflow was leaking and had to be replaced. This is a deep tub with an access panel. I removed the panel to see glued ABS pipe with a 90 elbow going into the overflow. Coming into the tub out of the 90, is a 1-1/2 threaded nipple. (Could be 1-1/4 and could be a straight thread, I didnt measure). There was a plastic chrome cover over the overflow nipple that was loose. I pulled the cover off and that left a threaded nut like adapter thing that is supposed to tighten the nipple to the tub. On the backside of the tub, where the 90 is and what the nipple is coming out of, there is a wedge shaped seal. I'm a retired pipefitter and I've done more than my share of residential plumbing, I'm guessing this isn't rare, but I've never seen one like this before. I'm wondering if the nipple is a standard threaded nipple of if it's straight thread? Is it threaded into the 90 or is it glued? The seal actually looks OK but feels more like foam than rubber, so it probably should be replaced. The hole through the tub is just big enough for the nipple, so I can't sneak a new seal over the nipple and through the hole. I would either have to remove the nipple if it does unscrew. Or cut the pipe and fit a new overflow. Anyone familiar with this type of w/o? Can you tell me if the nipple unscrews? Where can I get a new seal. Thanks!!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you take a picture? It sounds like your describing a system similar to what we use sometimes, but I would describe it differently.

Paulcalif

Reaction score
I should have taken a picture, but now I'm 2 hours away, and it's back together. I wouldn't ask my son to pull the cover off because he's all thumbs. Just picture a 1-1/2 abs threaded nipple sticking out of the over flow hole into the tub about 3/4 of an inch. The nut that screws onto the nipple is also the adapter that the chrome cover snaps onto. On the side of the tub you can only see through the access hole, the nipple goes into what looks like an abs 90, but I didn't look at it carefully. It could be made to be an overflow. I wasn't there to fix the plumbing, I'm going to fix the drywall, texture, paint. But, the plumbing repair could be pretty simple, and they are broke, so I want to help. I may just need to put a little silicone around the inside and tighten the nut (that was very loose).
Thanks for the reply!!

Paulcalif

Reaction score
I saw that one, and it is very similar BUT, I'm pretty sure the verticle pipe that is flexible in the one you showed, is ridged abs on this one. Threaded street 90 sounds right, but if it's rigid pipe, that would be a bummer. I'd have to cut it out, replace the seal, then put it back with a coupling, all through a little access hole. I don't think it's accessible from below, but maybe. That existing seal is starting to look like it's in better condition than I thought, lol!

Paulcalif

Reaction score
Got some photos. Look familiar?

Attachments

• IMG_5555.jpg
    IMG_5555.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5556.jpg
    IMG_5556.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 31

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I saw that one, and it is very similar BUT, I'm pretty sure the verticle pipe that is flexible in the one you showed, is ridged abs on this one. Threaded street 90 sounds right, but if it's rigid pipe, that would be a bummer. I'd have to cut it out, replace the seal, then put it back with a coupling, all through a little access hole. I don't think it's accessible from below, but maybe. That existing seal is starting to look like it's in better condition than I thought, lol!
click on the link paul the photo dosent show the assembly that clear but if you click again on the install installations it should show the watco 900 or 901 soft rubber doughnut sometimes they disintegrate I personally like silicone makes these bullet proof but if the fit up is good and nut is tight you are all good.
Retired local 582 pipefitter actually spent more time plumbing than fitting though worked outta 364 colton and 250 traveling though.
Sucks having water damage those kids better watch out insureance companies dont like all the claims in ca we are lucky to get insureance at all these days

Paulcalif

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff,
I didn't see a photo to click on but I'll find the watco 900 or 901 instructions online. I'm assuming I'll have to cut the pipe to replace the seal, right?

Paulcalif

Reaction score
Looks like I may be able to take the drain apart to give me enough slack to pull the over flow out. Not sure I can get to the under side of the drain, but I'll check next time I'm over there. Thanks everyone

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no yuu dont cut anything unscrew big nut push pipe back inside pull the doughnut gasket out through hole . pretty simple at least its supposed to be LOL . shouldnt be too hard

Paulcalif

Reaction score
That seems to be the only way. But if the pipe breaks I'm blaming you, LOL.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just curios are you sure its the overflow what about the jets or that piping for it or the motor area?

Paulcalif

Reaction score
just curios are you sure its the overflow what about the jets or that piping for it or the motor area?
I did have the same question, but I asked Joe about that and he said that it's just a regular tub, no jets (I was there for Easter and didnt look closely). So, pretty confident it's a drain and overflow, but don't hold me to it. I'm also thinking that I won't be able to push the nipple out of the hole because it's a tight fit. Pushing it back may change the angle enough to make it jamb on the hole. I'll give it a try but will also look at the seal more closely, if it seems pliable, it's staying :).
To bad the nut doesn't have more surface area, a rubber seal on the inside would work if it did. Maybe a fat o'Ring?? Trying to earn my mouse ears here. By the way, I went through the pipefitter apprenticeship in Long Beach in the 80's, graduating as a journeyman and eventually becoming a piping system inspector. Then on to Hughes Aircraft as an industrial plumber in the 90's.
Thanks again guys!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I worked at Mc donnell douglas long beach briefly in 78 didnt like it and young impatient drug up and went to a job shop maching air craft parts most of the 80s. we had hughes in Fullerton near where I worked

The plastic pipe will have some flex I thought the tub looked jetted but it looks like just a reflection
the washer is super spongy about a half inch thick goes on the inside of tub. try looking at a you tube maybe I think its pretty easy for you you just havent seen these

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks