What is this in my sewer pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

pbcd

Reaction score
I removed a toilet and ran a camera in my sewer pipe. I could only snake the camera about 3' when I saw this object (2 photos attached). I have no idea what it is. I also ran the camera from my other toilet in an adjacent bathroom and again it stops at about 3' and I saw the same object. I never had any symptoms of a block sewer line. The only reason I was running the camera was to see if I had any crack pipes which would possibly be the cause of high moisture content in my concrete foundation. I assume these pictures show the point where the drains from both toilets join. Does anyone have any idea of what I am looking at?

Thank you

Attachments

• PHO00008.JPG
    PHO00008.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 117
  • PHO00010.JPG
    PHO00010.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 115

Capt. Skinny

Reaction score
Do you mean the dark circle in the center? Looks to me like a fitting that changes direction, and the dark is a shadow where the light from the camera stops. It's hard to tell with the low-resolution images.

I'm not in the trade but I've inspected plenty of steam heating pipe with a camera.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for a camera? My cheap USB inspection camera from Amazon showed low-res images by default, but with the right software and configuration changes I was able to get much higher quality video and images.

pbcd

Reaction score
The big circle seems to me it maybe where the two drains combine into one. I am very puzzled with what is in the center area. It looks like a small diameter shiny pipe.

The camera:

Triple Lens Sewer Inspection Camera with 50FT Semi-Rigid Cable, DEPSTECH 5"IPS Screen Endoscope Camera with Lights, 1080P Industrial Borescope, Split Screen, Waterproof Drain Pipe Camera​

rtsd

Reaction score
This looks like the plunger (aka bucket) and attached linkage of a brass
bathtub overflow assembly. The shiny arc of the plunger edge can be seen,
and the straight shiny line from the bucket going to the left could be
the linkage assembly. But...

One diagram I've seen online depicts a stop to prevent the bucket/plunger
from ever falling deeper into the plumbing. I'm be interested if others
know for a fact such a shaped stop does indeed exist. Exceptions?
I'm a non-pro dealing with a stuck plunger presently...

Attachments

• plunger.jpg
    plunger.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 81
  • plunger-stop.png
    plunger-stop.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 86

PPPlaydohhh

Reaction score
Do you mean the dark circle in the center? Looks to me like a fitting that changes direction, and the dark is a shadow where the light from the camera stops. It's hard to tell with the low-resolution images.

I'm not in the trade but I've inspected plenty of steam heating pipe with a camera.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for a camera? My cheap USB inspection camera from Amazon showed low-res images by default, but with the right software and configuration changes I was able to get much higher quality video and images.
It looks like the second picture is one of those squeeze plugs that you have to tighten up a nut to get it to expand. It is smaller than the drain and just sitting there. I have no doubt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks