What are my options for cleaning up this mess?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Years ago I tapped into my water line right where it enters the basement and put a tee as you see with a threaded top to connection to irrigation lines I ran outside. Since then have retired the irrigation lines, as I found out they didn't do much for landscaping, only cost me more money each month it water bills. As a quick solution to cap off this no longer needed plumbing, I created the ugly PVC and shutoff. This has been fine for 10 years, but I wonder about the longevity of my fix. Our water pressure is about 145 psi where it enters house before the PRV. So what you see is under pretty high pressure, PRV is a few feet away just out of range of picture I took.

So, is my setup pictured good for a while, or is it at risk of failing given it is PVC and the high water pressure?
Short term should I replace the PVC and shutoff with like a short nipple and cap? Should this be black or galvanize pipe since connecting with copper?

I know the best way is to cut all that out add a slip fitting and sweat it in, but worried about short term issues.

upload_2019-11-15_8-29-5.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wait.. you're worried about the threaded plastic plug... but not that Dresser coupling at the foundation?! That is your weak point if you ask me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks