Wet ground - pressure relief valve discharge?

Users who are viewing this thread

bkselly

Reaction score
I went to my utility room for an unrelated reason today and noticed that the ground was wet between the boiler and the water heater (photo attached). A neighbor suggested to me that it may be discharge from the pressure relief valve due to over-pressurization, and that I could put a cup beneath the pipe to see if it collects water. He said that at the time of checking the water tank and valve itself appeared dry. I wanted to ask if that is the likely scenario and what should be done to prevent this in the future. I also noticed that the dial on the tank is set to very hot (by previous owners from a year ago; photo attached) and if that is something I should turn down to prevent this (if this is the issue)

Thank you

1.jpg

2.jpg

Fitter30

Reaction score
Pick up a gauge and a fitting to a female garden hose at big box ,hardware or plumbing supply. To check pressure at a hose connection. Pressure should be 50-80 lbs if any higher have a problem with a water regulating valve or expansion tank if u have one.

Reach4

Reaction score
Put a container under that T&P valve discharge. If you find that water comes out over a few days, you probably need a working thermal expansion tank. If you have a thermal expansion tank already, it has probably failed.

Typically if you take a hot shower, and then stop using water, the water can expand and get to the 150 psi setting of the T&P valve. The thermal expansion tank lets the pressure rise much less.

bkselly

Reaction score
Put a container under that T&P valve discharge. If you find that water comes out over a few days, you probably need a working thermal expansion tank. If you have a thermal expansion tank already, it has probably failed.

Typically if you take a hot shower, and then stop using water, the water can expand and get to the 150 psi setting of the T&P valve. The thermal expansion tank lets the pressure rise much less.
Hmm I put the container there but it has been empty the past few days. The ground still looks wet interestingly. Will keep monitoring

Reach4

Reaction score
Sounds like seepage. Have you had rain recently?

Or a leaking WH. Actually, I would prefer a non-seepage explanation, despite that being on the order of $1000 to replace. Fixing basement seepage costs more.

bkselly

Reaction score
Sounds like seepage. Have you had rain recently?

Or a leaking WH. Actually, I would prefer a non-seepage explanation, despite that being on the order of $1000 to replace. Fixing basement seepage costs more.
It is weird because it still appears wet but not obviously wet to the touch. We should have a few straight days of heat without much rain. Will report back if anything. Thank you all for your help

Fitter30

Reaction score
It is weird because it still appears wet but not obviously wet to the touch. We should have a few straight days of heat without much rain. Will report back if anything. Thank you all for your help
Put toilet paper on plate under pipe drop of water drops on it it will show.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Water heater should never be set to very hot. With a temper gauge, 120 degrees should is the proper temperature for most homes. If the previous owner set it that high usually means too thing. Heavy use of hot water such as filling a bath tub and clothes washer. The hot water demand exceeded the water heater.

The second reason is the water heater is too small or the recovery rate has fallen due to mineral depots inside the tank which is very common with gas water heaters. The minerals deposits on the bottom causing insulation that prevents where buy the water is heating from the flute and not the bottom where the burner is. The label on the water heater should have its manufacturing date. If it is more than 10 years old consider a replacement if is more than 13 years old, manufactured before 2010, it's efficiency is less than the new ones after 2010. New EPA rules applies for water heaters were implemented.

The staining on the floor, as you say it seems dry, to me it looks like old oil stains from the heating oil. The filter is just above it. On a filter change or it was leaking at one time. Pour some hot water on the on it and let it sit.

NYC has nice cold water right from the tap, as the water is heated, it expands and the T&P will open at 150 PSI. I had it happened once in my house in Saratoga Springs.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
he has a container to catch drops and nothing in it
Many NYC homes are100 years old, depending with borough. he may not have noticed before but it looks like oil staining. Heavy rains water can seep in.
Notice the WH is sitting on dirt with blocks.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
With paper towels wipe down the oil filter area, it all should be dry but may find a layer of oil. Place a paper towel under the area to catch any oil. I doubt it's leaking

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Many NYC homes are100 years old, depending with borough. he may not have noticed before but it looks like oil staining. Heavy rains water can seep in.
Notice the WH is sitting on dirt with blocks.
I didnt look at the dirt or notice . heating oil is still used it could be oil or water shouldnt be hard to tell

bkselly

Reaction score
Water heater should never be set to very hot. With a temper gauge, 120 degrees should is the proper temperature for most homes. If the previous owner set it that high usually means too thing. Heavy use of hot water such as filling a bath tub and clothes washer. The hot water demand exceeded the water heater.

The second reason is the water heater is too small or the recovery rate has fallen due to mineral depots inside the tank which is very common with gas water heaters. The minerals deposits on the bottom causing insulation that prevents where buy the water is heating from the flute and not the bottom where the burner is. The label on the water heater should have its manufacturing date. If it is more than 10 years old consider a replacement if is more than 13 years old, manufactured before 2010, it's efficiency is less than the new ones after 2010. New EPA rules applies for water heaters were implemented.

The staining on the floor, as you say it seems dry, to me it looks like old oil stains from the heating oil. The filter is just above it. On a filter change or it was leaking at one time. Pour some hot water on the on it and let it sit.

NYC has nice cold water right from the tap, as the water is heated, it expands and the T&P will open at 150 PSI. I had it happened once in my house in Saratoga Springs.
Will check the temp and change down from very hot if greater than 120 degrees

I don't remember the exact date but it was replaced two years ago by previous owner

I'm thinking it is old oil stains as well because the color hasn't changed and it feels dry to touch. What would pouring the hot water do?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Will check the temp and change down from very hot if greater than 120 degrees

I don't remember the exact date but it was replaced two years ago by previous owner

I'm thinking it is old oil stains as well because the color hasn't changed and it feels dry to touch. What would pouring the hot water do?
If the relief would open it would be like a garden hose full blast running everywhere and might not shut off 100% if some dirt gets stuck on the seat of the valve.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id say if it hasent drppied since August 30th there is no proplem whatsoever with the t and p

bkselly

Reaction score

I just checked and the temp is 145 so I will bring it down a notch - thank you!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks