Well water - whole house treatment, need advice to deal with Iron, Manganese and Hardness

Users who are viewing this thread

Deephaven

Reaction score
Bought a house that has a birm filtration system that isn't doing the job. Would like to replace the existing equipment with something that will work. Going to remodel the inside in a year or so and don't want the new bathrooms to orange like the current tiles.

Based on reading here, I went and had NTL test my well water. There is Iron Bacteria (not tested, but my toilets have lovely black scum). Here is a summary of the test, with the complete test attached as an image.
Iron 7.711 mg/L
Manganese 0.513 mg/L
Hardness 330 mg/L
Turbidity 87 NTU
Calcium 89 mg/L
Lithium 0.013 mg/L
Magnesium 27.51 mg/L
Potassium 4.7 mg/L
Silica 28.4 mg/L
Sodium 14 mg/L
Strontium 0.18 mg/L
Zinc 0.082 mg/L
Alkalinity 300 mg/L
Total Dissolved Solids 400 mg/L
Chloride 48 mg/L
Acetone 0.05 mg/L
pH 7.0
Iron Bacteria is present
ejwGtAK.png

Local place recommended an Ozone injection system to avoid Chlorine, another one recommended running two softeners in series. I see a hardness and iron problem and would rather address those with a filter and then soften after. All I know is what I've read here though, so please feel free to send me down the right path.

Thank you,

Sean

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Ummm, no. Ignore the "specs" on most equipment. It may technically work for a short amount of time but you are asking for trouble with that type of low end unit. Adding air to bacteria will do wonders for increasing it even higher.

Iron 7.711 mg/L Very high
Manganese 0.513 mg/L Very High
Hardness 330 mg/L Moderate, easily treated
Turbidity 87 NTU Expected due to high iron
Calcium 89 mg/L
Lithium 0.013 mg/L
Magnesium 27.51 mg/L
Potassium 4.7 mg/L
Silica 28.4 mg/L High, not worth treating
Sodium 14 mg/L
Strontium 0.18 mg/L
Zinc 0.082 mg/L
Alkalinity 300 mg/L
Total Dissolved Solids 400 mg/L Moderate, ok
Chloride 48 mg/L
Acetone 0.05 mg/L Likely due to new plumbing, this will usually drop quickly
pH 7.0
Iron Bacteria is present

Chlorine injection, contact tank, to kill the bacteria and remove the majority of the iron, in order to properly design a system for you, we would need to know what type of well/distribution do you have. Can you post pictures.

Deephaven

Reaction score
4 people, 4 baths

deephaven-01.jpg

Let me know if you have other questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

ditttohead

Reaction score
What is the gas tank for?

Old school design, where is the birm tank? Can you post a picture of the plumbing there?

Since you have bacteria, we would normally recommend chlorine or ozone injection. Followed by a KL system and a GAC to dechlorinate, softener, but this starts to get difficult as we are getting into so many tanks. Are you planning on replacing your old galvanized tank?

Deephaven

Reaction score
What is the gas tank for?

Old school design, where is the birm tank? Can you post a picture of the plumbing there?

Since you have bacteria, we would normally recommend chlorine or ozone injection. Followed by a KL system and a GAC to dechlorinate, softener, but this starts to get difficult as we are getting into so many tanks. Are you planning on replacing your old galvanized tank?
I am open to replacing everything. The galvanized tank is 1974, the birm filter system and softener from 2007. It has never worked right. The "gas" tank is CO2 and not related to the water treatment, just happens to fit best right there. Used for carbonating water under the sink right above that location.

deephaven-02.jpg

Do we know that iron bacteria are in the water straight from the well or just have made a happy home in the toilets?
Great question. I have no idea, is there a way to check? The splashed water is from me pulling water off the well to check flow. 4gal in 8 seconds or around 30gal/min.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYMissus

Reaction score
There are iron bacteria tests I'll do some looking if none of the regulars on here offer a tried and true test. Black slime can be many things Iron bacteria are usually stinky orange slime. They love our toilet tanks despite having a functional UV light in the system but they hate bleach or Iron out ( not at the same time.)

ditttohead

Reaction score
It really comes down to budget vs. quality of water desired. Do you mind a little maintenance in order to get better quality water?

Since you have not treated for iron bacteria in the past, a simple sanitizing of the entire plumbing and well system may be all that is needed.

A simple and effective treatment method and something that could be added onto later if needed may be the way to go. A simple micronizer air injector before the galv. tank. (replace that with a new tank) then into a Katalox Light tank, then into a softener. Did they split the water to go to two Birm Filters?

Deephaven

Reaction score
The two filters are run like two softeners. One runs then the other. Backwashes with clean.

We did bleach bomb the well when I put in a new well pump, but the bacteria/black slime came back.

Quality water I would like to have. Sick of having orange tiles in our master bathroom...

ditttohead

Reaction score
Did you sanitize the plumbing when you sanitized the well? Everything must be completely disinfected or the bacteria can return in a short amount of time.

If you just want to do it right, no problems, then a simple chlorine injection, contact tank, carbon tank, BB sediment filter then a softener should do the job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks