Well Pump Won't Build Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

D3adlyDesignz

Reaction score
Recently I noticed that my pressure tank was leaking from under the tank. This was just after I noticed that my electric bill was 100 a month extra. Come to find out my on off setting wasn't allowing my pump to turn off. With some adjusting I could get it to turn on at 10psi and off at 35 psi. Since then I installed a new 3 stage filter system and pressure tank and no more leaks! After installation I turned my pump on and watched the gauges. All built to about 30 psi quickly and it took around 3 mins or so to reach the 35 psi the switch was set at. As soon as it reaches the 35 psi it turns off and the pressure drops under 10 psi immediately causing the pump to switch constantly on and off. There is a valve just inside the home before the pressure tank and if I close this valve as soon as the pump turns off it will hold pressure without any issue. But you guessed it right! As soon as I re open this valve it then causes the pressure to instantly drop. What could this be caused by? Bad Foot Valve? Leak Between the Pump and the home? I'm heading to the hardware stone in the a.m. and will be installing a check valve just inside the home before the pressure tank to see if I can come up with a quick fix. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180318_181723.jpg
    20180318_181723.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 601

D3adlyDesignz

Reaction score
I've also attached a picture for a better explination. The Orange is where I will be installing a additional check valve. The green valve is the valve I can close when pressure is reached and it holds pressure until I re open.

Attachments

• 20180319_014649.jpg
    20180319_014649.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 929

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
#1, you don't want that valve installed there. If, by some chance it got closed & the pump came on, the pump would be deheading against a closed valve. A good way to burst a pipe and/or destroy the pump.

As for your problem, sounds like you have a hole in the pipe/split pipe/split coupling/rotted out fitting/blown Oring in your pitless or broken offset. Installing a check valve will do nothing to fix any of those problems and your electric bill will still be high.

Reach4

Reaction score
As soon as I re open this valve it then causes the pressure to instantly drop. What could this be caused by? Bad Foot Valve? Leak Between the Pump and the home?
Where is the pump? If the pump is down the hole (submersible), there is not a foot valve, but there is a check valve at the pump that may have failed. Or there is that leak between the house and the check valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks