Well pump conversion and new lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Norbert77

Reaction score
Good morning ladies and gentlemen I hope this day finds you well. I got a 47 year-old convertible jet pump setup that has always been giving us trouble, I want to convert to submersible. 60 foot head, 170 deep well. Low pressure, goes to a methane aeration tank, it will only need to run 20 psi Getting rid of well house and getting a steel extension welded on, so it will be exposed to the elements and I worry old line might not be deep enough. New setup will have a steel casing extension welded on. Does it need to be steel or can we use some thick plastic and a rubber gasket connection? There is methane in the well and I would hate to be the sucker to weld that.

In the ground from well house is a split to the house and to the barn, I want to eliminate that and run from well to house, then from house to the barn so I can drain barn line for winter. All the piles I think are black poly.

Can I run 3/4 PEX or should I go to larger? House has a 5gpm flow restrictor I can remove. Old well info shows about 6-8gpm supply. I don't know how the pipe connects to the well. Or is poly better for a occasional cold snaps? Or just go oversize just in case? I just need enough for a water bowl in the barn and maybe a small pressure washer. 40ft to house and another 60 to barn after.

Last but not least, the well house bottom and hose is 3 only 3 feet below ground I think I need more, but it is a heated house they probably got away with it.

What is the best way to seal the pipe coming into the house, to keep groundwater from coming in?

Lots of question, I got a local well guy I've been talking to but I always want a second opinion just in case. Thank you for your time

Reach4

Reaction score
1. For a house, I would not go smaller than 3/4 SIDR poly pipe. That is significantly larger ID than 3/4 inch PEX.

2. Extending steel casing... I don't know the rules there, but where I am, only welding is accepted.

3. Diameters... what diameter is the steel casing that you intend to extend? If 4 inch, I have some additional thoughts for you.

Norbert77

Reaction score
1. For a house, I would not go smaller than 3/4 SIDR poly pipe. That is significantly larger ID than 3/4 inch PEX.

2. Extending steel casing... I don't know the rules there, but where I am, only welding is accepted.

3. Diameters... what diameter is the steel casing that you intend to extend? If 4 inch, I have some additional thoughts for you.
I think it is 5"

Fitter30

Reaction score
How did u come up with 60 ' of head? How deep is the pump going to be? 3/4" poly? Total length of pipe? Is there a rise from well head to house? Any filters, water softer? Number of fittings, valves?

Norbert77

Reaction score
How did u come up with 60 ' of head? How deep is the pump going to be? 3/4" poly? Total length of pipe? Is there a rise from well head to house? Any filters, water softer? Number of fittings, valves?
Water level is 60' below surface. Pump will likely be 90-120.

All goes to house where it enters a depressurization tank to release methane, a second pump runs everything else in house

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a 1/2 HP pump 10 gpm would the job. A 7 gpm pump is more pump than you need, so you can use the cheaper 10 gpm pump.