Weil McLain electronic ignition question

Users who are viewing this thread

dss56

Reaction score
I have a 25 year old WM gas fired boiler never had a problem a work horse with baseboard heat 2 zones.
Live here in Boston and has been cold/warm season.
Question i was down the basement the other night and when the boiler called for heat it was just clicking the electronic start. So i cleaned the pilot bracket that has the igniter / a thermo couple/ and a flame sensor. Looks like the pilot lit and then took some time for the thermo couple to heatup and open the gas valve. I did brush clean the thermo couple as the head looks burnt. Again 25 years boiler with yearly cleaning by me.
Question Is the thermo couple looks like a standard one as this is an electronic ignition then pilot lights and then goes out when the gas valve opens up and the 10 gas tubes fire.
Can I replace the thermo couple with a Home Depot replacement.
I do have the manual on the boiler and does not show a part# for the thermo couple.
thanks for any replies and help

dss56

Reaction score
Its a screw in into the gas valve like all regular standing pilot thermo couple and then mounts to the pilot bracket on 1 of the gas tubes. Its funny the manual for the boiler has the flame sensor the spark part #s does not even show a thermo couple.

dss56

Reaction score
Its a CG-7-P1 172BTU gas boiler

Attachments

• boiler.jpg
    boiler.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 148

dss56

Reaction score
Im thinking a regular coupler should work.
Its been starting ok no that I cleaned the tip but would like to replace the T-C its been 25 years and again tip is a bit burnt.
Guess it lasted this long because it Electronic Ignition and no standing pilot.

Fitter30

Reaction score
If it has the same end probably would work. Could measure the volt age with a muilti meter. Thermocouple puts out 35 mv. Usually a burnt end its close to failure. If they don't list a thermocouple the pilot assembly probably has one and could be crimped in place. Pilot assembly would have a number stamped on it.

dss56

Reaction score
Im going to get a regular TC at home depot about $12.00 and try it as I said fitting screws into gas valve like a regular one.
Only reason I'm questioning it is because its not a standing pilot like all other s that have a lit pilot. The igniter sparks- pilot lights and heats the TC to open the gas valve then TC/pilot shut down when calling for heat. I could be wrong but will give it a shot

dss56

Reaction score
Ok will do and thanks for the replies and info

dont need one that long I see 24-36-48 i think a 24 or 36 will do but will measure before i buy a replacement.

Last edited: