Water supply placement and workmanship questions

Users who are viewing this thread

C Wolford

Reaction score
So I was planing to have this repipe project finished, but other things got in the way. Now I am back at it.

1st:
Workmanship of stub outs.
Inside cabinets:
A. pex no sleeve blue and red are viable
B. pex with chrome sleeve
C. use copper stub outs with sweat or compression valves

visible stub outs (like toilet)
A. Sioux chief OXbox
B. Copper stub outs with sweat or compression valves
C. Pex with sleeve
D. Chrome nipple

2nd:
I have a refrigerator water line in the corner at 2 exterior walls. currently the supply comes up out of the floor. When replaced whats the most professional looking way to do it?

a. supply box in wall (2x4) not sure if I can get enough foam insulation behind it (exterior wall)

b. frame a small spot to mount the box at the wall. I would drywall it but it would be a bump out of the wall at the floor.

c. just come back up out the floor with new supply valve

d. run the flex line from the refrigerator to the sink supply 5 foot away. ( would have to take line in to crawl space, under cabinets, or through side of cabinets.

3rd:
Is surface mounting or building a frame for an Oxbox a thing like inside a cabinet or next to / behind a refrigerator. Outside wall issues.

Thanks for your time thanks for every thing.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
For the refrigerator water line use this type of outlet box. Do not run any king of flex line except PEX in the wall to feed this valve. Being on an outside wall you'll need to be careful about winter freezing possibilities, Insulate it well behind it. This unit is not very deep so it would work better for freeze proofing than the one pictured. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-I2K-Icemaker-Outlet-Box-1-4-Turn-39130/202078128

sharkbite-ice-maker-valves-25033-c3_145.jpg

C Wolford

Reaction score
Yea I love the idea of it being a box in the wall it seems the most modern professional look, But that outside wall is the problem. I know after I redo the siding and put up the foam board out side it will not be a problem, but I dont want to test the "waters" of 1 to 1.5 inches of foam board or foam spray behind it.

From a research stand point I only plan to use dahl, Sioux chief, or brasscraft stops. unless someone with a good point chimes up.

edit: it seems I maybe to use that low profile box. I will have to do some math on r values. Even if i just "pay" for the box and use my own valve.

would you run pex insulated on the inside of exterior wall 5 ft. I would or could add a pipe wrap to it. I could come it at an angle from the crawl space in to the stud bay, but its vented for now another project for another time.

Edit 2: seems with 5/8 drywall, I can use polyisocyanurate foam board for the lower half of that wall and then do the mineral wool for the rest. I can get north of r14 behind the pex and box. With the mineral wool that should stop any draft. the foam would up the r value. Its still in a outside wall.

What if that part of the outside wall went from a deck to a closed sunroom aka throw up walls and roof with windows. wife was wanting to do that.

Am I just asking from freezing water damage even with higher r values, in an outside wall?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks