Water softener valve connection to start well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

CRB

Reaction score
Folks,

I have a well pump that has no tank. I need to add a softener to reduce scaling and very faint tan stains on my house near sprinkler heads. Water test results are 15 gr/gal hardness, pH 7.8, LSI .82. I'd like to soften with a Flex 5600 sxt. Is there a connection on the controller board that I can run to the start relay for the pump when needed for regeneration cycle? If not, any ideas on how I could do this?

Thanks.

Chris

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Don't use the 5600SXT for this application. You need a switched output on the control board. many Fleck and Clack valves can do this.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. If you could do what you plan, a softener is not the right way to remove iron from irrigation water.
2. If you got a contact to close during a regeneration, what would control the water pressure, a pressure relief valve?
3. If you could treat the water for iron, could you just treat the one or two zones that spray the house etc?

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Unless you have a PRV to regulate the pressure, controlling the pump with a relay could result in excess pressure unless the pump is incapable of building too much pressure. A relief valve should only be a fail-safe and not be relied upon to regulate the max pressure.

A pressure switch combined with a PsideKick could be used to turn the pump on and off. The CSV will limit cycling as long as there is at least 1 GPM of draw during a backwash/rinse.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks