Water Softener Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Hawkins

Reaction score
Let me start by explaining -- I just moved and I left my previous 10 yr old Culligan unit with the house. I am starting to miss it at my new location. I don't have all my exact numbers but can give some ballparks based on a couple guys I had out that test the water. My water is about 20-30 gpg based on some tests I've done and a couple techs I had come out and give me quotes on units. I have city water so no iron issues. Each tech recommended a 48k Unit.

I have a family of 4 (2 small kids ages 2 and 4). Based on the calculations online, 48k seems to be appropriately sized for my house. We always have someone over it seems so it might be safe to say we have 4.5 people.

So here's what I am trying to accomplish.

1) I don't want a Culligan system ($$) or Rainsoft ($$$). While they may or may not last longer, I can buy 3 Flecks online (it seems) for the cost of one Culligan. What water softener would you recommend for my situation? I have been looking at the 5600SXT but have read where it's "Old technology". I recently found on Ohio Pure Water Co. (ironically I live in Ohio) that they have the 5810XTR2. Is the 5810 the most recommended? I truly want a DIY solution. I do not want to pay a plumber to run pipe as I feel comfortable doing that.

2) My set up was going to be Line In --> Spin Down Filter ---> Triple Stage Filter --> Water Softener ---> Line Out to House. Should I do a triple stage after the water softener and just a Chlorine filter between Spin Down and Water Softener? I'll be looking at the 10% resin due to chlorine usage but wasn;t sure if I should try to filter out the chlorine prior to hitting the softener.

3) I have 3/4 inch plumbing currently in the house. If the 5810 is a 1 inch, I assume this is not an issue with going from 3/4 inch to 1 inch then back to 3/4 inch. I've read a lot on the forums and elsewhere that make me believe that this is completely fine but figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks,

Hawkins

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a family of 4 (2 small kids ages 2 and 4). Based on the calculations online, 48k seems to be appropriately sized for my house. We always have someone over it seems so it might be safe to say we have 4.5 people.
That (1.5 cuft of resin in a 10x54 inch tank, would be a bit undersized for 4 people at 20 grains. It would be very undersized for 4.5 people at 30 grains. If you have iron in your water, that number will affect things too.

A "48k" will soften 32k to 36k grains of hardness when set up for good salt efficiency.

1. The 5810XTR2 and the less-fancy 5810SXT, as I have, are available from various sources. Since the equipment will probably be shipped in, there may be not an advantage to an Ohio-based seller.

2. Triple stage filter is probably overkill for this. A filter using a 4.5x20 cartridge should be good unless you have unusual stuff from your well.

3. Not an issue. There are also some nice connector hoses that can make the install much easier and nicer.

Charlie1

Reaction score
I’m going to agree completely with reach 4 with the exception of the solid state or computer controls. I’m more of an analog guy, as the control boards have failed in many instances within 6-7 years of installation on service calls I’ve been on. The boards are fairly inexpensive 125-140 but it’s an on average pretty lame service life. The analog units don’t allow as many fine adjustments but the softener is a basic enough filter that I don’t believe all the fine adjustments are warranted. I like the analog fleck 5600 for this size unit. Probably get at least 10 years of service out of it without ever touching it, plus they’re fully rebuildable and cheap.

I think you’re going to be happy with a 48k, 1.5 cubic foot unit, you can go onto Ohio Pure and run through their sizing system then just decide whether you want a timed or metered unit. Upgrade to the Ss bypass valve and the 10% cross link media.

Hawkins

Reaction score
That (1.5 cuft of resin in a 10x54 inch tank, would be a bit undersized for 4 people at 20 grains. It would be very undersized for 4.5 people at 30 grains. If you have iron in your water, that number will affect things too.

A "48k" will soften 32k to 36k grains of hardness when set up for good salt efficiency.

What sizing do you recommend? 64k?

1. The 5810XTR2 and the less-fancy 5810SXT, as I have, are available from various sources. Since the equipment will probably be shipped in, there may be not an advantage to an Ohio-based seller..

I read somewhere on the forums here that the 5810 was a dealer-only model and usually not fit for DIY install. The ohio seller has the unit available for shipment (eventually) and I've seen theirs names on these boards as well as reputable.

2. Triple stage filter is probably overkill for this. A filter using a 4.5x20 cartridge should be good unless you have unusual stuff from your well.

The triple stage is only to treat some of the impurities in the city water supply. We received notice that the TTHM was high and it's just my way of helping to weed out some of these in the process. I agree it's overkill. Either way, where should placement go? Before or after the filter?

3. Not an issue. There are also some nice connector hoses that can make the install much easier and nicer.
Awesome. I didn't think it'd be a problem

Reach4

Reaction score
To pick a size, 20 to 30 is a bit loose. It could actually change through the year as mix of river vs well water changes. I would get a Hach 5b test kit to be able to measure that, plus to check the softened water to see if the hardness is not over 1.

I would be thinking 2 cuft to 3 cuft. In marketing talk for historic reasons, that would be advertised as 64000 (12" x 52") to 96000 (14 x 65). Figure on using a step stool to program the tall one.

The triple stage is only to treat some of the impurities in the city water supply. We received notice that the TTHM was high and it's just my way of helping to weed out some of these in the process. I agree it's overkill. Either way, where should placement go? Before or after the filter?
I think you mean before or after the softener. I like a sediment filter on city water before the softener, but after the softener may be fine.

I don't know what it takes to get rid of TTHM. Some people choose to get rid of chloromine/chlorine also.

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
then just decide whether you want a timed or metered unit.
With efficiency benefits of a metered unit, no one should be considering a timed controller for a residential softener.

I think you’re going to be happy with a 48k
What salt setting, regeneration frequency and hardness level is this recommendation based on? Recommendations on this forum are typically based on a regeneration frequency of less than 1X per week while using an efficient salt setting of 6 - 8 lbs per cuft of resin.

What sizing do you recommend? 64k?
A 2 cuft softener will deliver 40K - 48K usable capacity while using an efficient salt setting of 6 or 8 pounds per cuft resin. Hardness will need to be tested at your location. It is advisable to add 2-3 grains additional hardness to the test results in anticipation of hardness variance within a municipal distribution system when municipal water is obtained from multiple sources.

only to treat some of the impurities in the city water supply
What impurities are you concerned with removing? That will determine which type of filter will be required.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Based on my very quick calculations,

30 grains x 5 people x 60 gallons per person x 7 days between regenerations= 63,000 grains actual capacity. A 2.5 cubic foot regenerated with a balance of efficiency/quality ie: 8 pounds per ft3, would be an ideal sized unit. Most modern houses use a lot less than 60 gallons per person per day, and your hardness should be accurately tested to determine the actual hardness. A range of 20-30 is a little wide.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks