Water softener media expands and overflows tank after head removal

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I have the Hach Total Hardness test strips. Is the 5-B kit more accurate?
Yes. If you have more than 30 grains of hardness, dilute the sample with distilled water and multiply the number of drops to get hardness.

So if you suspect 200 grains, use 8 parts distilled water and 1 part water to test. Swirl, and pour that mix into the test tube to measure, pour that into the test bottle, add your powder, and count drops of the liquid. Multiply the number of drops by 9 to get the actual hardness.

Larry Schwarcz

Reaction score
I suspect you have an electronic TDS meter, and not a hardness measuring device. Test strips tend to not be very accurate for hardness, and certainly don't have a lot of resolution. Get a Hach 5-B test kit to do your hardness testing.

I just checked online and they have the B-5 ($21), 5-EP ($34) and the HA-71 ($67).

Should I step up and get one of the more expensive kits or is the B-5 enough for me? Will it test both municipal water hardness and hardness from my softener?

Thanks,
Larry.

Reach4

Reaction score
Total Hardness Test Kit, Hach Model HA-71A tests both regular and low range.
This would be the enthusiast model, or for the case where you want to know to a 10th of a grain what your residual hardness is. The 5-B is great for the normal user.

The 5-ep puts the powder into packets rather than having you spoon the crystal powder into the bottle, as the 5B calls for. The amount of the powder is not that critical. I don't know if the packets would be an advantage to you or not.
https://www.hach.com/total-hardness-test-kit-model-5-ep/product?id=7640219509

Incidentally, a softener reduces hardness but the TDS could actually increase some.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The Hach 5B is calibrated in grains per gallon, just as your Fleck 5600 hardness and capacity settings are in gpg. You said the test strips you have been using are calibrated for ppm. When indicating hardness on this forum, gpg is the common standard but all numbers discussed should be defined to ensure clarity.

Because 1 gpg hardness = 17.1 ppm, the undefined numbers you stated lead us to think your water is much harder than it actually is.

A water softener is not a filter but functions by ion exchange. Calcium and magnesium minerals dissolved in water will cause hardness. In removing those mineral ions from hard water, they will be replaced with sodium ions when passing through the softener resin. Since ions are exchanged for another type, a TDS meter will not provide a lower reading from a softened sample.

Last edited:

Larry Schwarcz

Reaction score
The Hach 5B is calibrated in grains per gallon, just as your Fleck 5600 hardness and capacity settings are in gpg. You said the test strips you have been using are calibrated for ppm. When indicating hardness on this forum, gpg is the common standard but all numbers discussed should be defined to ensure clarity.

Because 1 gpg hardness = 17.1 ppm, the undefined numbers you stated lead us to think your water is much harder than it actually is.

A water softener is not a filter but functions by ion exchange. Calcium and magnesium minerals dissolved in water will cause hardness. In removing those mineral ions from hard water, they will be replaced with sodium ions when passing through the softener resin. Since ions are exchanged for another type, a TDS meter will not provide a lower reading from a softened sample.

I'll have to double check the settings on my Fleck valve but my testing results are all in ppm.

Thanks for the info!
Larry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks