Water Softener Drain Location

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom26

Reaction score
Hello, I would appreciate any advice/suggestions. I am looking to purchase a water softener, but my main concern is an area to drain it. My main comes in at the side/front of my garage, I can access it by cutting the sheet work out.
I wanted to install it across the garage by the water heater hoping I can find where the main comes up over there, but I don’t know if it splits else where so the obvious would be is where I know it’s at.

If I was going to install by the water heater, there’s a sewer line that comes down from the second floor which I could cut out from the garage and install whatever is needed.

a water softener company came out and said they could drill through the back of the garage and run it out that way because there is a clean out and they can run a T and whatever else.

I was thinking without doing major cutting, etc. would be run it to the laundry room which is on the second floor on the other side of the garage. I can see the drain line drop down in between the floors from the attic but can’t quite reach it.

Would it be possible to run a drain tube, from one side of the garage to the other, I would have to measure but I’m thinking to run it up to the laundry room, it’s maybe 30’ and maybe 8’ from the water softener to the ceiling up to the drain.

I would drill a hole down and fish the tube. I don’t think I’ll be able to do it with pvc, it would be challenging and more maneuvering etc.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, this would be a DIY. Not much plumbing experience but have been researching and learning.

thanks for taking the time to assist.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Many variables here, but adding a drain is usually not too difficult. I would not recommend running it to the second floor though it would probably work. If you simply make the drain line 3/4" PVC, you could run it to the ceiling of the garage, then to anywhere in the garage when back down with no problem. Even 100' of drain is no issue so long as you keep the pipe size adequate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks