Water Softener Discharge Line Re routing

Users who are viewing this thread

thevictors51

Reaction score
I am in the process of rerouting my softener discharge line outside my house.

My softener is in one corner of the house and my sump pump discharge is on the other side. My sump discharges via and air gap to a buried pipe that runs away from my house.

I want my softener discharge to tie into that buried line. This is really the only option I have due to factors out of my control.

The initial plan (see image) is to run the line across the house and tie into the pipe outside via an Air gap.

Starting at the Softener;

Line A
-will be 3/4" ID vinyl tubing

Line B
-will be 3/4" ID PVC tubing and will have line A attach to it via a barb
-will have 4 turns and the rest will be straight pipe, almost all will be at the same height, I have to go up to clear a beam but that only 1-2 inches.
-It will be attached to my floor joists

Line C
-will be 3/4" ID vinyl tubing to allow for a not so sharp corner heading into the outlet

Line D
-will be 1.5 inch ID pipe and will tie into the outside buried pipe via and air gap.
-will attach to Line C via a Barb.
-The Barbed end of Line D will be angled to make the barbed end slightly higher than the outlet.

I hope all of this makes sense.

With all that being said I have a few questions;

1) Should I use 1" or 3/4" PVC pipe?
2) Do I need a check valve on the PVC portion of the run?
3) Is there any reason to have a high loop between Line A and Line B?
4) There will be water sitting in Line C because it is lower than the outlet, should I be concerned about the water sitting in there?

My Softener is a Flexk 5600SXT.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 179

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Due to the length of run and low cost of material, go with 3/4" PVC pipe for the entire run. No real problems that I can see. No check needed.

thevictors51

Reaction score
Awesome thank you, I finally got around to installing the discharge. Works like a dream and now less water is pumped into my septic system!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks