Water Quality Testing

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I just heard a story on NPR about the danagers of drinking tap water.

Apparently 10% of the municiple water does not meet EPA standards. This bad water is the result of the chlorine acting with other substances in the water causing (turning into) carsinigens (sp?). They say it can be filtered out but the municpalities don't usually do this. Home filters do work if you get the right kind and change the filter often.

The story goes on to say that one should test their water annually.
They say if your on a well it is especially important as wells become contaminated very quickly.

I have been on a well for 20 years now and only tested the water once.

My county does not have free water testing (or any testing services that I can find). There are a lot of home water testing kits availble.

If any of the pros here do water testing, can you tell me which home kits are the better ones?

Thanks.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
My original kit was put together by Mclain but the chemicals have been replaced many times over the years.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
The short answer is that there is no home testing kit for volatile organic compounds, semi-volatile organic compounds, pesticides and PCBs, and metals that will tell you if any of these contaminants are present at concentrations that may pose a threat to human health. That requires that the samples be collected properly and analyzed by an accredited lab. The full suite of analyses can run several hundred dollars.

Unless there has been a known nearby release of a hazardous substance to groundwater (the Florida DEQ can provide you with this information) or other known local water quality issues, annual testing for nitrates and bacteria is all that is recommended. If performing these analyses in the field I typically use HACH test kits, but to be honest I usually just send the samples off to the lab.

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Just wantd to say thanks for the info.
I will find a test kit on the internet that tests for the items you mention and hopefully their test results can be trusted.

BTW, I do have a chlorine/charcoal filtration system with a water softner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks