Water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

hayley3

Reaction score
I had a new water meter installed so I could run a water line from it to an outside barn faucet.
First thing in the morning I fill water buckets and the spray is very powerful but after I turn it off and turn it back on to use again the stream is so small I can't even spray off bird poo on my car.
Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Reach4

Reaction score
Clog (perhaps a the valve), bent pipe, or the city water pressure is down (much less likely). I can't say there is a likely cause.

You could get a garden hose thread pressure gauge to measure the city water pressure without flow, and with a garden hose wye, you could measure the pressure during flow.

You did not indicate if this is a freeze area.

hayley3

Reaction score
Clog (perhaps a the valve), bent pipe, or the city water pressure is down (much less likely). I can't say there is a likely cause.

You could get a garden hose thread pressure gauge to measure the city water pressure without flow, and with a garden hose wye, you could measure the pressure during flow.

You did not indicate if this is a freeze area.
The water line was put in about a month ago. It's been in the 70's here, so not below freezing. I think the length of the water line is 75 ft.
I would like to measure the pressure out of the faucet and then measure it with the hose, but I don't think it's the hose.

Reach4

Reaction score
The water line was put in about a month ago. It's been in the 70's here, so not below freezing. I think the length of the water line is 75 ft.
I would like to measure the pressure out of the faucet and then measure it with the hose, but I don't think it's the hose.
Yard hydrant, heated barn, or what?

Reach4

Reaction score
camco-hose-connectors-20073-64_145.jpg
bon-tool-hose-connectors-84-313-64_145.jpg
melnor-hose-connectors-9000-64_145.jpg

Get a "Y" to mount your pressure gauge to for testing while water is flowing.

Without shopping, you could see how freely the water flows with no hose connected. Useful test is to see how many seconds it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket.

hayley3

Reaction score
camco-hose-connectors-20073-64_145.jpg
bon-tool-hose-connectors-84-313-64_145.jpg
melnor-hose-connectors-9000-64_145.jpg

Get a "Y" to mount your pressure gauge to for testing while water is flowing.

Without shopping, you could see how freely the water flows with no hose connected. Useful test is to see how many seconds it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket.
Thanks, Can you recommend a pressure gauge ? Or will any of them work just as well?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks, Can you recommend a pressure gauge ? Or will any of them work just as well?
Pretty much all are going to work for this purpose IMO. 0...100 psi is usually better than 0...200, unless your incoming water is higher than 100 psi.
water-source-pressure-test-gauges-wspgh100-64_145.jpg

pressure-gauge-hosebib.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks