Water pressure slowly -up-down and repeats

Users who are viewing this thread

JeffVee

Reaction score
Hi There - I’m looking for some solid advice on what my problem could be. I have a 100foot well - 20 gallon fiber woind well mate tank. I have replaced the gauge, pressure switch and repressurized the tank to 28lbs (switch is 30/50). Before swapping out the parts from above the pump would engage for about 35 seconds and then shutoff and this would repeat constantly. After swapping the new gauge and switch the cycle of cut in and cut out is about 2 minutes (2 minutes to drop from 50lbs to 30lbs- and no water was being used). At least now I know the pump is cutting in and out at the correct pressures 30/50. So I’m thinking there could be a small leak somewhere in the system - but I’m hoping someone has run across this problem and could offer some advice as to what to troubleshoot next. Thanks Jeff

Reach4

Reaction score
Close the valve that passes water from the pressure tank to the rest of the house. This is to make sure the leak is not after that valve. If the cycling stops with that valve is closed, look for a leak downstream of the valve.

So there is a leak. Presuming that you have a pitless adapter, you can open the well cap, and listen when it is quiet. Some leaks could be hearable from the top of the casing. Most are not, but it is easy to check. If in doubt, borrow some younger ears.

You could have an underground leak. Your check valve could be leaking. The O-ring on the pitless attachment could be leaking. Pumps have a check valve built in, and/or there is a check valve placed right above the pump.

JeffVee

Reaction score
Close the valve that passes water from the pressure tank to the rest of the house. This is to make sure the leak is not after that valve. If the cycling stops with that valve is closed, look for a leak downstream of the valve.

So there is a leak. Presuming that you have a pitless adapter, you can open the well cap, and listen when it is quiet. Some leaks could be hearable from the top of the casing. Most are not, but it is easy to check. If in doubt, borrow some younger ears.

You could have an underground leak. Your check valve could be leaking. The O-ring on the pitless attachment could be leaking. Pumps have a check valve built in, and/or there is a check valve placed right above the pump.
Thanks reach4 ! I’ll be trying your suggestions this weekend, will let everyone know what problem is.

JeffVee

Reaction score
Ok back at the cottage this weekend - pressurized the tank and shut off the water valve coming in from the well. Still cycling from 50 to 30 amd repeats. Newbie question before I start crawling under the cottage lookong gor a leak. Should the water tank pressure go up amd down basically mimicking the pressure gauge?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks