Water pooling around new drain in bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

aceuvspades

Reaction score
Hello,
I have installed a new faucet and drain in my bathroom sink today and I noticed that water is pooling at the bottom of the sink. There is no waterflow issues going down the drain. The problem is the new drain that came with the faucet is plastic and sticks up a little off the sink bottom. So it does not sit flush with the bottom of the sink. Because it sits up a little there is a small amount of water that sits at the bottom of the sink and can't get over the plastic drain insert. I have to use this plastic part that came in the kit because it is a popup drain and works together with the insert.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I can fix this? I might be able to add plumbers putty around the drain to bring the lower part of the sink up to the top of the plastic drain piece's level, although the putty will probably go out further than I would like and not look good, and I'm not sure how the putty would hold up in the long term anyway.

Or is this just something that we need to live with if we want this type of drain?

thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You installed the washer on the wrong side of the sink drain. That allows the pop up to be above the porcelain. Under the flange you put down a bead of plumbers putty and insert it into the sink drain. From the bottom goes the rest. When you thread on the pipe into the flange, the drain holes of the flange must be between the top and bottom part of the sink. These are for the sink overflow.

delta_pop_up.jpg

aceuvspades

Reaction score
According to the installation instructions, there is a gasket and then the drain body that go on the top side of the sink, and then a cone gasket and mounting nut that goes on the bottom side of the sink. I took that to mean that the gasket sits on the top of the sink around the drain hole with the drain body going through it. This is how I installed it, and then the push down drain plug slides right through the top of the drain body and the gasket without any issues and pops up and down properly. Do you think I should remove this gasket so that the drain body will sit a little lower and directly on some plumbers putty?

I attached a couple images from the installation instructions and how my drain currently looks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_222539.jpg
    IMG_20200111_222539.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,742
  • IMG_20200111_222810.jpg
    IMG_20200111_222810.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 3,163
  • IMG_20200111_222949.jpg
    IMG_20200111_222949.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 3,447
  • IMG_20200111_223152.jpg
    IMG_20200111_223152.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 4,496

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Never seen one like that. What brand is it? Is it a soft gasket or hard like nylon? If it is soft maybe you need to really tighten it down to compress this gasket. I would dump the gasket and use plumbers putty.

aceuvspades

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback. I agree that is probably the best idea. I'll see if that takes care of the problem.

David2question

Reaction score
According to the installation instructions, there is a gasket and then the drain body that go on the top side of the sink, and then a cone gasket and mounting nut that goes on the bottom side of the sink. I took that to mean that the gasket sits on the top of the sink around the drain hole with the drain body going through it. This is how I installed it, and then the push down drain plug slides right through the top of the drain body and the gasket without any issues and pops up and down properly. Do you think I should remove this gasket so that the drain body will sit a little lower and directly on some plumbers putty?

I attached a couple images from the installation instructions and how my drain currently looks.

same issue I am having! I got that same drain with kit! It came with a moen faucet! It came in American standard faucet kit as well! I’m trying to find my compatible nickel drain but all of the nickel ones are flat flange. My original sink drain is slanted and flange diameter is 2.2”! This is reason the plastic drain is causing a ring of water. The plastic flanges are thicker. So I think my options are to find and buy a new sink basin that is flat at the drain hole or option 2 deal with the chrome plated universal drain that has a chain stopper that i found works letting water go down with no issues. However, I’m not keeping with option 2 because it doesn’t match and need to put a chain drain stopper in every time. Option 3 go back to a faucet with a pull lever that comes with the slanted drain. Then again I don’t like the pull lever now. Option 4 is deal with the little bit of water around the flange! Most likely I will go with option 4 and then option 1 later.

Also with the plastic drains, they will crack over time so keep that in mind. Metal will rust over time. I bought a 2.2” diameter push popup drain in brush nickel and will deal with the little bit of water around the flange for now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks